For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

couple of quick questions:

I have a 73 toyota ke26 wagon, quite original with 12" wheels and 155/80/12 tyres. i like the style of the current wheels with trim rings and whitewall tyres.

I am toying with the idea of putting a 4age in (but running k50 gearbox), really just as an upgrade over the clunker 4k, not for doing skids etc, just cruising. i have almost all the parts i need.

I want to know what peoples thoughts are whether i would pass a cert with standard brakes (or upgraded) but still running the 12" wheels? obviouslt cant really increase brake size with the 12" rims...

I have had trouble finding any rim/tyre combos with the classic whitewall look in 13".

Also i am thinking about putting 1 rear seatbelt in (had no belts from factory), to hold a kiddie seat. Does anyone know of any good places that would do this in auckland. And would this require cert as well?

cheers

Dan

brakes- a car that has over 50% more power than original, has to do 5 stops from 100-0 kph under 4.4 sec in a total of 3 min.

You could try it yourself with a stop watch and see how it goes, it *might* pass with really good pads but i think it will need upgrading to a vented disc at least.

seat belt anchs -will need cert, you could do that at the same time you get the engine certed and it wont cost any more. Fitting the anchorages is easy as. go to lvvta.org.nz look up seatbelt and anchorages standard 175-00 and go to the bit that says 'doubler plates'. the only tricky bit is getting them in the right place but any certifier should be able to show you where to put them.

hey boes, at what stage of modification does a van with a bed/stove/etc in the back become classed as a camper and require a COF

yep like K said if its your own light van then no COF or cert.

unless you do structural stuff that would need cert, like a taller roof or a big hole in the floor to poo through.

• 1 month later...

I'm 99.99997% sure that cutting and welding of Cast (or forged) steering components is full blown no-no. something to do with there being no way of knowing what material the stuff was made from to begin with, so there being no gaurantee that the weld will stay glued together. (Just what I've heard, might be bullshit)

if I am racing my car on the drag strip or around a track(probably never competetively) is there a minimum size I should be aiming for on an oil catch can? ie 1 litre?

Motorsport NZ's reg's are here http://www.motorsport.org.nz/assets/MotorSport-Manual/App-2.02-Sch-A-2010.pdf

Even if you're not looking to compete it's a good idea to follow them, you might end up wanting to compete at a later date, and it saves having to change things. Plus safety is good.

5.1 (7) Oil catch tanks: shall be fitted to engines with open circuit crankcase breathing

systems as follows;

(a) Engines up to and including 2000cc shall have a minimum of 1 litre catch tank

capacity.

(B) Engines exceeding 2000cc shall have a minimum of 2 litre catch tank capacity.

Note: Do not apply equivalence factor multipliers.

The steering arms are a cast part of soarer hubs, can a cut and shortened steering arm be certed, if so do they need to be crack tested?

This is a pic of a shortened arm.

1262989654_2_FT0_p1050993.jpg

No cant legally be done.

Thanks Uterus

Not what I was thinking of though.

This is what I had in mind.

COLEMAN.jpg

they require individual TAC inspection/approval, usually ok if they are a proper, designed for automotive use part

(TAC = technical advisory commitee, group of knowledgeable dudes who get together once a month, to sort out oddball/outside the rulebook stuff, design approvals etc)

depends on whats done to it. if its a traditional old rod with period mods then probably not. if it has a say injected late model v8/independent front/big brakes then yes. the thinking being its not really a originalish old car any more and someone has gone to the trouble to do that stuff then they can fit belts as well

The roadster is very traditional with flathead etc and sitting on 32 rails. The (1950) will be late 50's mild custom with a stockish 302.

However being I have three kids I will probably go with belts anyway. Do I need to call Mark to get mine under way or can I call you to get set up? What is the initial inspection charge to get the ball rolling? I should probably do this since it has sat for 6 years! Thanks.