For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

depends on the design of the bracket. there is no minimum thickness- did you have an idea of what you were going to use? is the bracket going to be straight/flat or is the caliper offset from the hub mount?

straight or offset a couple cm back and probably make it out of steel

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will soon be getting around to redoing my chassis rail mods (gone rusty from being neglected)

whats the deal with me re-making a section of rail

ie

46861_463979809765_530014765_6374813_4877235_n.jpg

you can see ive chopped a bit out and will be making it a different shape from some rhs, will be sleeved, but and plug (hehehe) welded

does this shit need testing or will heaps of photos before painting be ok?

have a chinwag with whoever youre going to get to cert it re: when they want to see it.

from what you are describing sounds fine, where you join the rhs together/to old rails should have fish plates

from a quick look thru your build thread your metal glueing skillz seem to be most satisfactory.

are you able to register a ~6-7000kg GVM vintage truck as 3490kg GVM and run it on wofs if it's being used primarily as a classic type dealio?

found out some info about this.

camper up to 3750kg can be on WOF instead of COF

dunno if theres any exemptions for classic, or vintage trucks though

oh balls. that's only 260kg more than any normal truck. I guess that means you can de-rate a 4500 or 6000kg gvm vehicle to 3750 though and go that way.

perhaps.

Hey cletus,

Iv bolted a half cage into my datsun, Do I need to cert it if it doesnt come past the front seat head rests, and I remove the back seats (already has no belts).

Its just a random one that I got from a rally guy. Its got decent bolts and plates but dont know any specs of it. It has two plates coming off the main hoop that the seat belt bolts go through on the pillers. As well as a strut going back to each wheel arch.

Thanks Andy.

Average pic but you get the idea

2011-10-05183350.jpg

Full cage (in a unibody type car) needs authority card to run on the road, anything covered on the authority card does not need to be certified, its covered by the card. however most cars serious enough to need a full cage need certs for other things which auth card cant cover, ie adj susp, engine & brake mods etc......

Half cages ie all the bars behind the drivers seat back dont need auth card or certification, cant have rear seats though.

^ probably depends how bad it is. at the end of the days thats a fail at engine anyways.

Whats the deal with aftermarket or made up control arms? all need a cert?

even if they are just tube/pipe/roundbar with rose joints screwed in each end?

If theres any welding then crack test dye pen/mpi on the welds and material certs of the materials I presume.

^ probably depends how bad it is. at the end of the days thats a fail at engine anyways.

Whats the deal with aftermarket or made up control arms? all need a cert?

even if they are just tube/pipe/roundbar with rose joints screwed in each end?

If theres any welding then crack test dye pen/mpi on the welds and material certs of the materials I presume.

depends on the application and whether its homemade or aftermarket

if its an unloaded arm ie a radius rod or camber arm then its fairly straightfoward

if its loaded ie supports the vehicles weight then theres a lot more to it the requirements are in the hobby car manual eg different material specs depending on vehicle weight, design etc....

Do motorcycles have to run a front mud guard? If they do, is there a minimum size limit?

just looked thru the wof book says a motorcycle must be fitted with a mudguard that covers the width of the tyre. it doesnt say how long it has to be..........

i know im going to sound like a dick,but are locked diffs certifiable in any way??im guessing not but am curious

Not a permanently locked diff. Full/mini spool or welded is illegal but if it can be unlocked (ie air locking diff for 4wd) then you are sweet.

sweet,i always wondered cause the amount of P.O.Ss(RB nissans 88-) ive seen getting round chch with locked diffs is ridiculous :x

now to find a LSD for the cortina.........

i know im going to sound like a dick,but are locked diffs certifiable in any way??im guessing not but am curious

Not a permanently locked diff. Full/mini spool or welded is illegal but if it can be unlocked (ie air locking diff for 4wd) then you are sweet.

buy officer its not permanently locked, i just need a few hours some tools and a gas cutter

also so much easier to swap on a new car/irs than a stick diff

I'm thinking about getting my wheels widened before getting certed and I'm wondering about this

"A tyre fitted to a low volume vehicle must be contained within the confines of the bodywork, and no part of the tread section may protrude beyond the outer edge of the body, mudguard, or mudguard flare or extension."

As you can see from the picture below the guards on my car taper in towards the bottom, does that mean the tyres have to be within the narrowist part of the guard or is it taken from the widest point of the guards? The tyres shown in the picture would be outside of the guards at the lowest point.

DSCF0605.jpg