si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

Flat plus spacers will be fine (I've had such certed, with spacers not even welded on).

I'd make it from steel just to avoid issues with the certifier.

Can you tow a car with no WOF or registration behind a car? Or does this come into a trailer category and you need WOF & registration?

Scenario. Work is having a track day at Ruapuna Raceway, 10min from my house. To Hire a trailer for the day is $250. Just looking for other options.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tender Raisin said:

Can you tow a car with no WOF or registration behind a car? Or does this come into a trailer category and you need WOF & registration?

Scenario. Work is having a track day at Ruapuna Raceway, 10min from my house. To Hire a trailer for the day is $250. Just looking for other options.

Reckon it will be fine.

Have done this before, possibly 15 years ago, and cop pulled us over thinking car at front was just slow and holding up traffic. Was real apologetic when he realised we were towing. He stopped the traffic so we could pull back out.

I have, 3 years ago, A-framed starlet with no wof or rego, but it did have plates. Pretty sure I called the police and asked if it was okay beforehand. Guy was totally not fussed and told me to just do it. I did hook up a cable to the trailer plug so the towed cars rear lights worked.   

What are the rules around footspace for seats? My truck project has a rear 3 seater bench, but the middle seat will end up with an engine cover taking up all the space. Should I swap the bench out for two folding singles?

On 10/06/2019 at 14:04, Tender Raisin said:

Are we talking full on race spec, or could it potentially pass a WOF?

Just driving to get a WOF, officer.

15 hours ago, Bling said:

Are we talking full on race spec, or could it potentially pass a WOF?

Just driving to get a WOF, officer.

its loud and quite low (adjustable suspension) - sticks out as well. Also hasn't had a wof in over 10 years. So im not keen to talk to Mr officer about why i am driving it.

• Like 1

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/cosmetic-lamps

Having trouble making sense of the virm in regards to led spot lights and light bars. 

I'd like to put a light bar on the front of my roof tent, but it looks like I can't switch it from high beam? 

The table also doesn't let you mount a lightbar facing forward, going by the table. Am I reading it wrong? 

You're describing a work lamp. It can be mounted in any way you want, as long as it isn't switched by the same switch as any compulsory lamp.

I'm also pretty sure you aren't supposed to use work lamps on the road

• Like 2

Stand alone switch, not on high beam. 

And not aimed to front distance like a high beam, (work lamp for lighting area around vehicle)

Tilt it down at wof time :wink:

• Like 2

Apparently two spot lights or two light bars are ok on high beam as they are symmetrical... 

Btw a work lamp is not a cosmetic lamp

Cosmetic lamp means any lamp that is not listed in Table 4-15-1.

Table 4-15-1. Lamps that are not cosmetic lamps

Lamps covered in the VIRM

Other lighting equipment not requiring inspection

Headlamps

Stop lamps

High-mounted stop lamps

Direction indicator lamps

Position lamps
(includes side-marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps)

Rear-registration-plate illumination lamps

Rear reflectors

Fog lamps

Daytime running lamps

Cornering lamps

Reversing lamps

PSV interior lamps

Work lamps

Interior lamps
Designed to illuminate the interior of the vehicle for the convenience of passengers

Flashing or revolving beacons

Illuminated vehicle-mounted signs
Includes PSV destination signs, taxi signs and variable message signs operated by enforcement officers, under a traffic management plan or permitted by other legislation

A light source that is a necessary part of equipment required or permitted by any enactment to be fitted to a vehicle
Includes LEDs that indicate status on eRUC labels

On 10/06/2019 at 14:04, Tender Raisin said:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/27/docs/27-exempt.pdf

Using an unregistered vehicle on any other road Using an unregistered vehicle on any road other than a private road is illegal. However, if you’re fined, you may have a defence. It’s your responsibility to prove that you’re entitled to use an unregistered vehicle in that situation. You’ll have a defence if the vehicle is:

edit snip

• a motor vehicle normally propelled by mechanical power that is being temporarily towed (one time, not regularly) without the use of its own power

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mof said:

Apparently two spot lights or two light bars are ok on high beam as they are symmetrical... 

I put a piece of black tape down the middle of mine at wof time, old mate didn't see the joke

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Leon said:

• a motor vehicle normally propelled by mechanical power that is being temporarily towed (one time, not regularly) without the use of its own power

so nobody told anyone at Ashburton Car Club, did they ?? !!!

Have a look at wof rules but not clear. Rear quarter windows, can you replace them with composite? I seem to recall aaaages ago a friend registered their car as a van or something then suddenly it opened up options for putting blackout vinyl on the rear side and rear window as they pleased. Figured if that were true, then maybe could make a fibreglass plug for them instead.

• Like 1

I recall someone saying they did that.  Registered as a commercial vehicle and was allowed to black out the back.  The penalty was something like $550 a year rego'.
This is third hand info' and may be out dated.

• Like 1

Hello, 

I'm making some engine mounts and I'm aware that for cert, I need some sort of restraint on the mount. So that if the rubber breaks, the engine cant move and jam the steering. 

I've bought the hobby car manual section on engine mounts but it didnt give me too much more advice on what I might do here. 

This is my current situation, Altezza Engine mount and Land Rover rubber mount:

64504854_595797817575568_7125831922135072768_n.jpg.d3c6ee9c23112e1f331ab50ee00ad77e.jpg

This is what I'm thinking, making it out of 100 CHS that comes up around the alloy part as well to stop it from being able to drop backwards. With a 4mm plate inside that it sits on.
Would this be alright? Or would it be better made from sections of flat plate? I'd like to make it as light as possible.

64424004_368544877129873_6600198482827411456_n.png.2f920d4ebc81028e4787322e4e2ba8af.png

Printed a test copy which surprisingly holds the engine weight fine made from plastic haha.
64224665_1012537522284960_591187778549579776_n.jpg.0e79cff2bf6c34b02be7749c38c1ee0d.jpg

• Like 2