SUGGESTIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VIVA CONVERSION

Son has a 1971 HC Viva that he’s thinking of possibly getting a bigger engine transplanted, currently running 1159 which runs really well as is, he’s just playing around with the idea lol

He likes the idea of staying Oldskool as much as possible body wise and loves the attention it already receives, but wants some grunt behind her. He’s mentioned he’d love to put a 308 in her, but my thoughts were more something more like Datsun or Torana (no desire for anything Ford or late model related haha).

What recommendations on engine and running gear would you or your followers suggest?

IMG_0856.jpeg

Buick/Rover 215 (3.5ltr) V8. Fits easily, has been done before so the knowledge is out there, and due to its alloy block weighs little more than the original iron block four cylinder.

• Like 3

Be serious. :P What could you feasibly source quickly and inexpensively which wouldn't break or overpower the rest of the vehicle, requiring too many other upgrades?

I like the idea of a garbage oldschool motor, because I love the sound of garbage. It may be that it's just easier to grab a small modern 4cyl Jap engine for this task though, cos whatever you can find in the nearest abandoned Nissan Micra would have more power than the existing motor. ;)

@La Viva 71, the user @yoeddynz has done two engine swaps on Vivas over the years - a rotary and a Mazda V6. There has been more than one other Viva on the forum too, and they may have build threads on here somewhere. We also have a user cletus who is a vehicle certifier.

• Like 4

Something like a Datsun A15 engine/box would be easy (if they haven't all been used up in ministocks).

Simple engines, 1500cc so better than the 1159 for sure, and probably wouldn't cost too much overall.

• Like 1

The quick and easy path is to go to a later 1256 from a Chevette or late HC Viva, cam, Weber carb etc. Enough to be a usable daily.

1800 Magnum bits bolt up, and you can chuck a 2.3 CF Bedford motor in as they are the same block family but need some tweaking (higher compression, cam etc). I did that 20 years ago but wouldn’t waste my time doing that now. In fact any old pommy engine conversion, while period correct, is just a waste of time.

You do want the 1800 brakes and rear diff though as both are larger and direct bolt up.

You need to find an engine with a rear sump, or a narrow front sump as the steering rack is on the front of the crossmember and takes up space.  The other potential issue is the 1800 brake master cylinder and booster is enormous and fouls on most intake manifolds.

The easiest looking conversion nowadays is a B6 or BP Mazda engine from an NA/NB MX5.

Having mucked around with Vivas for over 20 years, I’d go and buy a modern Toyota/Honda/whatever for hoons and just put a mildly warmed up 1256 into the Viva for a bit of period correct fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tortron said:

Mmaaaayyyyte

IMG_20240114_195458.jpg

I looked quite closely at fitting a 3.8L GM Ecotec into the MINX, but I would have had to cut the firewall and the gearbox tunnel and would have to redo the steering. The viva looks to have much more room in the engine bay than the Minx so could be a good choice. The Ecotec are good engines that make good power, good economy and are reliable and cheap to by.  

Ended up fitting the Honda K20a big block 4 banger ended up much the same as the Ecotec but such is life. The Honda K20a- 24  engines are great engines and make great power and very tunable.

IMG_0184 smaller.JPG

• Like 2

As others have mentioned

First thing is to figure out

1. how much you can spend 

2. How much can you do yourself

3. how fast you want it to go and what do you want to achieve 

Most worthwhile swaps are going to need a gearbox/brakes/suspension/diff upgrade which is where the $$ required starts stacking up

If you can't do much yourself that also will get very expensive quickly 

This may dictate what you end up doing 

If he's just starting out and learning how to work on cars then it's probably better to start with an easier bolt in swap, as mentioned a 1256 with some mods to liven it up a bit, that doesn't need gearbox/brake/diff upgrades

• Like 7

^sage advise.

A modern engine (efi) will give excellent fuel economy, and cold starting reliablity. However this adds an additional element of complexity as the fuel system requires extra upgrading too. If youre going to pay for cert, will the improvement gained warrant the extra cost?

• Like 1