Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My engine didnt come with a starter motor or alternator. 
These two things seem to evaporate instantly on the pickapart cars.

It's not a surprise; Aside from oil changes, the starter, alternator, and water pump are the 3 things i have replaced on my 3GR Lexus.

The starter seems a bit weak, it was sketchy with mis-engaging to the ring gear from around 90K Km but I just mashed the start button until it worked... until it didn't anymore at 145K Km.

I suspect the alternator had gotten a bit fed up of the starter requesting all the amps and blew a diode whilst i was on a long trip, that stalled the alternator and burnt out the front clutch on it. lucky this was as i cruised into Auckland

Water pump was just noisy/dripping and done when the alternator/belt was off. 21 bolts for this was a touch overkill. Aftermarket starter and alternator, Toyota genuine water pump all going strong.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I did find one alternator at pickapart but the front pulley felt a bit stuffed. 
Interesting about the clutched pulley on the front.
I saw there's reconditioned ones with a new front pulley for $300something on trademe, so probably just go that way when the time comes.

I've considered bodging something else on there that's more common (Have got a few 3S / 1NZ alternators) 
But I've got enough other issues to sort currently. 

• Like 1

Hopefully smaller motor will sound a bit more "snappy" too.

Ive been thinking that the guy who made that v12 video. Was obsessed with the idea that equal length 6-1 on each side made the high pitched sound of the zonda. But I wonder if having more tail pipes changes the pitch too. 

As in, if you have a 6-1 collector that then splits back out to 2 pipes, and the accoustic length is slightly offset. It might sound like twice as many pulses.

The zonda has 4 tail pipes, not sure what happens upstream of that. But maybe thats similar to x pipe on the likes of an mr2.

It will be fun to do some experimenting and try tune the sound once its all together.

@Truenotch nah cant really split them.

But I might need to have a flange half way down near the steering column, so its easier to get in and out than a super long piece. 

Passengers side Ive got heaps of room, but Id like to try keep the designs symmetrical if I can. 

4 minutes ago, anglia4 said:

I want to see the bonnet cut with the tops of those tube bends sticking out.

Speed bulges each side

Then a big long intake down the middle

They don't seem to cut the hoods on anything I have seen online that run them, except for meme bonnet exit exhausts. Thickness of the valve cover and a hands worth I guess. 

Cant go forward, because the alternator lives in the way on one side. 

Search Results "Engines - 4gr-fse" | Engine Land

I guess maybe I could low mount the alternator, then run a 1NZ alternator or whatever. But not sure if a smaller one will have enough current for the 6 banger. 
Used to get a little bit of voltage drop at high rpm with the 1NZ.

@Nominal twin turbo would actually be fairly easy, because the factory manifolds can be flipped left to right, so they face forwards instead of backwards. But meh! 

I hate the idea of a cut bonnet, but if I was doing that I'd make the intakes straighter so they're a nice stack out the top. 

I think I've got a slightly bent spare bonnet at Dads place still... 

@tortron I cant really go up, as I've got the brake booster and master cyl there. I've already nuked all of my space for a clutch master cyl, so will need to fit a reverse mount one. 

Also this was funny / a bit of a mindfuck. 
These are all 90 degree bends, so why are they bending in away from the chassis rail!? 
Oh yeah, because the motor is tipped and I've rotated them. Hah. However I've worked out the angle that makes the pipes perpendicular to the rails.
Hopefully I can make the front and middle ones a little shorter with a bit less of a bend, so the lengths are more even. But then it's deceptively difficult to remove. 
The exhaust manifold has studs on every hole, so you need to move the manifold quite a distance from the head to remove it. 

348362170_3340091422968645_7907974483046339022_n.thumb.jpg.a5f15e4ecf1784e2d9f1ce4da2a06dda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1