Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the 2GR in the family wagon is better than money in the bank!

I might be an idiot, but would it be possible to chuck the decision making process as to why the 4GR was the best choice into the first post? I wanted to use it to show students about using research/data to inform decision making within a project. It's far more interesting than the typical data analysis, but yet still simple enough for them to get it.

• Thanks 1

Yeah for sure, I'll do that. 
Edit: Done. 

Yeah the 2GR is something I'd considered a long time ago, but dismissed because they cant really rev much beyond 7500 or 8000rpm. 
Also, they cost fucking moonbeams which isnt a great starting package when intending to do some aahhh... exploratory rpm based research. 
$600-800 replacement block for 4GR from a much more common Mark X that is an unloved engine by comparison. That also meets my rpm goals. sweet deal!
This option totally flew under the radar! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, yetchh said:

They're actually one of toyotas more reliable engines, but like anything if maintenance isn't keep up to date things go wrong. 

Anyway, soz for the spam @Roman

No problem at all, interesting to learn new things. Never new the 1GR was so expensive! 

The front sump might be good, but likely too deep for how low I'd like to sit the engine. 
Also, I cant find one anywhere.

That one above isnt necessarily any less complex, how do the bolts do up that are located above the oil pan? on left and right sides. Must have a tube that goes all the way through and uses a long bolt from underneath. 
As they cant do up anything with the pan off, because the pan bolts are on the top. hah.

@ajg193 The oil drain back channels are a "may as well" thing, secondary to being able to get some straight walls on the sides of the sump. 

It's not actually all that complicated, will seem a lot simpler when I've put a cad model together and you can see better what I'm thinking. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roman said:

Yeah will do it how the factory pans do, will just cut a groove then use sealant. 

Will have o-rings on the interface to the oil filter in/out lines. (again as per factory fit) 

Do you reckon you'll be compromising the strength offered by the factory upper sump by removing it, especially if your planning on revving to 10k? Unless you have some strengthening in mind.. 

I took a look at the sump on my 2wd 1gr hilux and it has the sump way forward, like 100mm past the timing cover, and it's 6ltr capacity. They also have the same bolt pattern as the 4gr.

731671499712cfa8449c07cd86512a508db9af19__10611.1625550130_1280_1280.jpg.c9840ffc9c1329fe1b838393809b6110.jpg

• Like 1