KwS's SD1 Obsession

kws

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news about the replacement heart for Lucas. I'm chuffed to think that you will be able to enjoy the Rover whilst you toil away on completing your Marina. Then when the dust has settled you can take your time to decide on the long-term plan for Lucas .... yummy high compression 3.9 or matching numbers original EFI. Boy you are spoilt for choice now.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Awesome news. Yay for continuing well written updates.  Do you know much about the history of this engine? 

Not much other than about 160k on the clock, out of a late Disco, and ran well with no knocking or ticking. Came in a truck the seller was wrecking for parts for his and his dads Landys. The disco failed a WOF on various things, so got scrapped.

Just spent almost the cost of the engine on parts for the conversion (seals, gaskets, oil pump gears etc). Yayyyy.

• Like 6

Speaking of ordering things, if anyone needs bolts and hasnt come across these guys before, I highly recommend checking them out. They have heaps of oddball (imperial lol) stuff, and REALLY good prices. Im talking less than $1 ea for stainless bolts that Rimmers wanted $5 a piece for zinc plated. I got a kit of machine screws from them for the Marina too.

https://www.theboltholder.co.nz/ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

First off, excellent that it's staying!

Second, on the topic of diesel SD1s, I've been on the eye out for a cheap 2300/2600 or 2400D over here as the basis for an M57 swap. Seeing how well it goes in my XJ40 I thought it'd suit the character of an SD1 down to the ground. All it'd be lacking is the V8 burble...

• Like 3

Another intoxicatingly enjoyable thread update.  Your taste in cars is questionable at best. But your build threads are beyond reproach. I saw the picture of the 3.5 with the intake removed and thought, man an alloy 4bbl with a Holley 390 would be awesome on this! But then remembered who's thread I was reading, and that's not how you roll.

Keep your foot on the gas dude. We're all rooting for you!

• Like 5

The holly is a pretty common swap in the UK for heathens that don't want to tinker with the EFI system. I'm the opposite, EFI makes way more sense to me. 

It does seem common that the holly just pours fuel in for fun. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kws said:

The holly is a pretty common swap in the UK for heathens that don't want to tinker with the EFI system. I'm the opposite, EFI makes way more sense to me. 

It does seem common that the holly just pours fuel in for fun. 

Is that just the nature of a Holley, or does no-one bother to jet them properly?

• Like 2