KwS's SD1 Obsession

kws

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear things have gone so badly. 

As much as I do enjoy reading your well documented and reasonably light hearted masochism.
Every man has his limits.
I felt like I sold my SW20 under similar levels of being worn down by problems. Sucks.

When this sells, what's next priority on your list of projects?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw the advert pop up on Facebook so I did wonder if an update like this was coming and sure enough... 

Are you able to stash it away (even off-site) and get back to it later on when things have cooled/calmed down? It seems you have got 95% of the way there with fixing all the little gremlins, to the point where the next owner just needs to sort the engine and that's it they have a good running SD1 (if one were ever to exist?) Would be a shame that next owner isn't you!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fuel said:

I saw the advert pop up on Facebook so I did wonder if an update like this was coming and sure enough... 

Are you able to stash it away (even off-site) and get back to it later on when things have cooled/calmed down? It seems you have got 95% of the way there with fixing all the little gremlins, to the point where the next owner just needs to sort the engine and that's it they have a good running SD1 (if one were ever to exist?) Would be a shame that next owner isn't you!

I did consider getting a storage unit or the likes, back when I first got the car (since the engine has been a problem since day one) but decided that I would only be delaying the inevitable and unless I moved the Marina into storage, I would never have the space to replace the engine. I've been looking for a 3.9 on and off since I got the car, but its better to just cut my losses and let someone else do the big job and then enjoy the car.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm gutted for you but understand your feelings as some cars just do this to us. Best move on, put those efforts into the Marina (which as tatty as it is must be like a breath of fresh air with its simplistic design and layout compared to the rover) 

It's always a shame for us because we all enjoy reading your well written and documented threads. I too hope that whoever buys lucas realises and appreciates the amount of effort you've put into it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mate, like others have said I'm gutted for you. From your previous postings I can tell that Lucas has a special place in your heart and each of your updates made me think of someone who has adopted a rescue dog and is showering it with as much TLC and love as possible. All of us have shared your highs and lows along your journey with Lucas and whilst I can relate to your current thoughts of cutting your loses and running, I'm really hoping that you will let things cool down for a few days and then reassess your options. I fear that further down the track you will come to regret letting him go. All the best mate.

• Like 3

As fun as it is to rage quit in the heat of the moment, as Flash says, let yourself cool down. 

If you are still over it in a week or two, then maybe it is time to pass it on. But you've come so far bringing this back from the cusp of falling into a state of dire repair. And asides from the engine, its pretty getting pretty sorted thanks to your meticulous touch.

Rebuilding the original donk would be fun wouldn't it? Getting it all tidied up and refreshed would be rewarding (for both you and the viewers like myself) Then you'll have a matching numbers SD1 with a freshly rebuilt motor. Will hopefully be good for a while after that (asides from any of your routine maintenance or fixes that we know and love).

So yeah, do consider my offer of storage either while you rebuild the original engine. (Offering for purely selfish reasons, I just want to see more of your comprehensive update posts :))

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Goat said:

As fun as it is to rage quit in the heat of the moment, as Flash says, let yourself cool down. 

If you are still over it in a week or two, then maybe it is time to pass it on. But you've come so far bringing this back from the cusp of falling into a state of dire repair. And asides from the engine, its pretty getting pretty sorted thanks to your meticulous touch.

Rebuilding the original donk would be fun wouldn't it? Getting it all tidied up and refreshed would be rewarding (for both you and the viewers like myself) Then you'll have a matching numbers SD1 with a freshly rebuilt motor. Will hopefully be good for a while after that (asides from any of your routine maintenance or fixes that we know and love).

So yeah, do consider my offer of storage either while you rebuild the original engine. (Offering for purely selfish reasons, I just want to see more of your comprehensive update posts :))

I really appreciate everyones comments, especially the awesome offer of somewhere to store Lucas while I sort the engine. 

I'd like to keep the project going too, but it has been really hard with the car fighting me every single day since it was delivered. Most of it is just undoing years of previous owner bodges and neglect. I never even managed to get started on the Speeduino conversion that was planned, and I've driven a grand total of 82 Miles since the car arrived on the back of the truck.

Because i've paid the $100 (yes, thats what tardme costs these days...) i'll leave it up there for a bit, and see what happens, but maybe I don't drop the arse out of the price and if i end up keeping it... well, we'll see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fuel said:

Are you able to build up a good engine with the parts from the original engine (to keep numbers matching etc) and the current dud engine, plus any new parts?

Id have to swap some bits from the current engine anyway, like the front cover, sump and injection system, as they were taken from the original engine to make this one work.  Nothing else is worth taking from this engine as either the original engine parts are better (pistons, heads etc) or the ones in the car are junk. The only real unknown about the original engine is that the crank has a lot of surface rust on it, and whether that is saveable or not. The rest would be saved with some light machining. 

• Like 2