KwS's SD1 Obsession

kws

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the successful outing. I expected no less. :)

Fuel economy is….. errr…… :shock:

12.33mpg if you use imperial gallons. Still fairly horrific.  Something not right there- about double thst should be possible. Imagine Speeduino and a bit of tuning will help a lot. Presumably  the 3.9 could handle a stiffer torque converter for a bit less slip…. Not that you’ll be wanting to pull the engine again!

Nick

• Like 1

Its pretty bad, but not that much different in economy from all my other SD1s, so one must presume its my driving thats causing most of it. Speeduino should help, as the Lucas/Bosch system is quite primitive and has zero learning ability. It doesnt smell particularly rich, but ill pull a plug out and see what it says.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kws said:

not that much different in economy from all my other SD1s

Really? Are you a hooligan? :-D

A mate had a series 2A shorty with coil spring chassis, RR ‘box and 3.9 V8 on SUs.  It weighed almost 2.5 tons and still did better than that on fuel. Except when towing a horse box with two fat horses in it, when it did worse, though not much worse….

I shall follow the development with great interest.  Fuel economy hides in the ignition timing map as well as the fuel map, but I sure you know that.

Nick

They're all weekend cars, so get used fairly spiritedly. This one does appear to be running rich though and im not sure why. Checked a plug on each bank and both look the same; white/pale brown strap but jet black ring. 

Unfortunately i set the goal of the Marina being on the road before Speeduino gets installed, so thats a while off yet, so may have to actually work out whats going wrong with the Flapper EFI.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nzstato said:

From my own 3.9 Disco era...

16L / 100km was about average 'around town'

13L / 100km best on a longer trip

They love to drink it

I'd be far happier with those sort of figures. The advantage the disco has is that it's running the hotwire injection, while the old analogue flapper injection I'm running is obviously like throwing a fuel can on a bonfire for fuelling. 

And what's cool about it is that you'll in time be able to have injecting it and improving its efficiency.

But yeah- just drive it for now. Its summer, you've put some hard effort into getting this far, entertained us all with your brilliant thread as usual so you deserve a break!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Amazing how this has come out in the end. It looks like putting the new engine in was well worth the effort and the stress of the crap situation ended up being only a blip in the grand scheme.

You're not wrong, it's really panned out far better than I had expected.

There's been a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but it's a bloody good car to drive now and it probably would've ended up in the "left to rot" thread had it gone back to the previous dickhead owner. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Tiger Tamer said:

Enjoyed the last post in your build and how you diagnosed what the problem was. You probably have pulled the plugs and cleaned or replaced them after all the rich running. it would be interesting to see what they looked like.

I pulled the plugs the other weekend and they were black, but not carboned up, so I didn't clean them. It will be interesting to pull them again after this tank and see how they are then.

• Like 2