• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yo, I have a Nissan forklift with a wee 4 pot diesel in it. It leaks oil from the governor? housing in front of the pump. 

Does anyone know what engine this could be so I can search up removal and o ring replacement? I have had the plate off but there are springs and shit in there that I don't want to take off without knowing the rules...

Any help appreciated.

PXL_20220108_022233161.thumb.jpg.affc68007c8f6877e81afe7cfa916f38.jpg

On 22/12/2021 at 20:46, Raizer said:

So yeah I made the front half of a new exhaust for my 1KZTE

IMG_20211212_134421_1.jpg.139b21fa037ffc5f31070ae3ca355598.jpg

Pit Stop made the rear half

IMG_20211220_152108.jpg.e2a69e16b0b8bb2f10907403589143e8.jpg
IMG_20211220_205143.jpg.800c13825406fc9688800752a5e8cd0f.jpg

And fuck it has made a drastic difference to the van!!
Sounds tough, not stupid loud (VTNZ inspector reckons it's just right) and has all the turbo whistle.
If I ever tried to cut a gap at an intersection or whatever I used to just pump out a cloud of black smoke while it thought about accelerating, but now the turbo keeps up with the diesel pump so no cloud just GO.

Have they not heard of mandrel bends? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Have they not heard of mandrel bends? 

It's got mandrel bends over the diff at least (think I supplied them all tbh), rest looks like it's been made from mandrel offcuts.

One day I might redo the rear section, but for now it's good enough, managed 9.8l-100k open road last week so it's doing the trick anyway.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Folks, it's probably not the injectors:

• Land Cruiser 1HZ 6 cylinder diesel with added turbo and > 400,000kms
  • Injectors replaced last year
  • Motor is very tired, burns oil and has bugger all compression. Runs smoothly on all six cylinders
  • It'll get a freshen up very soon, but she suddenly developed a loud knock/clack and I have not driven it since
  • Using a stethoscope the clack seems to be somewhere above #2 injector. Hard to be certain.... but the stethoscope test suggests the noise is from valve gear?
  • The clack is absent on cold start-up but very loud after 60 seconds
  • No obvious issues between OHC and valve buckets
  • With the engine idling; For every 800 revolutions the clack is audible ~ 400 times (i.e. two revolutions = one loud clack)
  • We've cracked open each injector fuel pipe (one by one) with engine running  and no change in the noise, so I think that makes an injector unlikely to be the cause
  • I can't see valve stems or springs as they're hidden under shimmed buckets
  • Valve buckets all seem to go up and down when slowly rotation the assembly using the starter motor
  • The clack/knock is loud enough to be heard from next door at idle.

At one clack per two crank revolutions I'm thinking it's cam/single valve related but am otherwise perplexed. Could a broken valve spring make such a racket?

Thoughts?

@Unclejake

Reading your post I had a very similar sounding noise from a 4d65 mitzy diesel in a mk2 mirage had a loud rattle /clack consistantly like it near drowned out the rest of the motor when idling 

All I could put it down to when the motor was stripped was excessive bore wear and it's just loud af pision slap

You may have broken a piston skirt and that could be why it's only one noise and started suddenly

:discdisclaimer: this is the internet and this is my story Results may vary

• Thanks 1

^ If it's a piston (and it may well be mate) then it's apparently only making a noise once during four trips up or down the bore. If that's the case I'm guessing it's making a racket in response to detonation/combustion? Dunno.

I was hoping not to touch the head and to only freshen the short-block

Not a scenario I'd considered at all my friend! I'll get the head off next week if possible

If the pre-chamber was lose would it be likely to connect to the piston crown at every TDC (incl exhaust stroke)? If so then it seems a less likely culprit. 

Good lord inside diesel engines are dirty. I've only ever touched one before this one. It's yuck. 

19 minutes ago, Unclejake said:

Not a scenario I'd considered at all my friend! I'll get the head off next week if possible

If the pre-chamber was lose would it be likely to connect to the piston crown at every TDC (incl exhaust stroke)? If so then it seems a less likely culprit. 

Good lord inside diesel engines are dirty. I've only ever touched one before this one. It's yuck. 

They tend to drop down, get hit, stick back up for a bit before dropping down again so you do get weird intermittent knocks from them

37 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

How are you certain its not making noise evenery revolution?

It's all happening many times a second so would be pretty hard to count 

Good question.

I captured 10 seconds of the noise with my voice recorder when the engine was at an indicated 800rpm idle. I slowed the playback down and counted each clack. 69 'clacks' for ten seconds = 414 clacks per minute... so roughly half engine RPM

EDIT: Which made me think it was an injector, but effectively shutting off the fuel to each injector one by one did not eliminate the noise

It's an interesting problem. I'll know more when I can tear the engine down (I need to work during the day and have no shed and few tools) but I need the vehicle by 9th December and getting parts to Chatham Island can take weeks so I need to get as much info as possible quickly

• Thanks 2