diesel spam

Giant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a Kiwi Head on my 4D56 Pajero...and it lasted 3 weeks. Got another one out of them and that one lasted 3 years...finally got a NZ new L200 head for it and no more problems.  Both Kiwi heads leaked behind the inlet valves. Many years ago of course, and I guess they have changed supplier by now.

• Like 2

I don’t rate hiluxs whatsoever, after trying to keep a fleet of them on the road. 
a fleet of K11s are more reliable.

im sure that if you change manifolds, exhaust, tune the fuelling etc they can be ok, but it’s like pulling the pin of a grenade and hoping it doesn’t go off.

these modern diesels are some kind of wizardry , everything under the bonnet is confusing 

22 hours ago, Raizer said:

Factory exhaust dump pipe is a big restriction!

Gotta make sure your viscous hub is working properly too as they don't use forwards momentum for cooling, it's all down to the fan, can also get a cooler 72deg (I think) prado thermostat which gives you a bit more time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yetchh said:

Gotta make sure your viscous hub is working properly too as they don't use forwards momentum for cooling, it's all down to the fan, can also get a cooler 72deg (I think) prado thermostat which gives you a bit more time. 

Pulled a 88c out today, have a genuine 76c ready to go in, think @GuyWithAviators has sent some silicone oil for the hub too along with a new fan shroud (I was missing the top half) and temp sender etc, once my bank account recovers a bit I'm looking at the 10 blade fan upgrade from the current Hilux etc too.

Latest find today is the auxiliary radiator has over pressured and bulged out at the sides!

• Sad 1

On 17/03/2023 at 03:50, CaMpylobacter said:

man I dunno why people go so wild about 1kz being some kind of GOAT

precomp diesels.... what the hell eh. 

Need that death rattle on cold start up that can only be delivered by a mech pump direct injection

• Like 5

On 15/03/2023 at 20:53, Hemi said:

Not really my area of expertise tbh, maybe worn valve guide seals? 
hard to tell without seeing eveything.

@Yowzer might have a better idea

They can crack into the oil gallery and things like that. New head reckon injectors new radiator new viscous fan flush the fuck out of the block mechanical pump conversion wind up the boost and fuel three inch zorst no muffler loosely fitted poddy off the front of the blower and send it 

• Like 3

In modern Deez spam, I ditched the DPF EGR and remapped the Alfa to an estimated 250hp, but it was a bit laggy and pretty smokey. Suspected it was suffering the usual clogged up sticky turbo vanes, but fortunately found it was just a bit of something blocking up the vacuum circuit so it was getting piss all suck on the actuator. Cleared that out and now it fries the tyres a little too easily. No idea on EGT yet as I don't have a probe. Next up is an intercooler improvement as the manifold temp sits around 40°c cruising and easily cranks over 70 when given the jandal. The stock intercooler sits at the bottom behind the AC condenser, which is full of bent fins and moths.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Yowzer said:

They can crack into the oil gallery and things like that. New head reckon injectors new radiator new viscous fan flush the fuck out of the block mechanical pump conversion wind up the boost and fuel three inch zorst no muffler loosely fitted poddy off the front of the blower and send it 

I'm at new head, recon injectors, new radiators (waiting for the main one to arrive from CHCH now), new water pump, new thermostat, fresh silicon oil in the hub, new throttle spindle seals to fix boost leak, new map sensor filter to again fix boost leak, new diesel hard lines, new temp sensor etc etc.

Already full 3" exhaust, EGR deleted, catch can, but no poddy though ha.

Manual pump would be nice, need a manual gearbox swap first though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yowzer said:

In modern Deez spam, I ditched the DPF EGR and remapped the 

Hardware, software or both? 

I'm about to dip my toe into performance diesel (if such a thing exists) and would be keen fit it to ingest only the freshest of air.

Software, the EGR hardware is still on the engine at the moment but functionless, the DPF has a pipe shoved through the centre. The car is pre DPF removal threshold (anything registered after May 2010 has to have an emission cert or something or it's a WoF fail if you ditch the DPF) but I left it looking factory just to avoid hassle.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Im a couple months away from taking my 66 C20 off the road to convert from a 350 with 700r4 to diesel. Mainly for fuel economy and reliability. I have all the stuff for an LPG conversion but Id still probably have to rebuild this engine and switch to a manual. 

I love the sound of the V8 and the power is quite adequate if not limited a little by the diff ratio of 4.56:1. 

I have a 4BE1 with a 5 speed box and a 4BD1 non turbo waiting in the shed. Both are pretty gutless but reliable. Ive looked for turbo bits for them for a while with no joy. 

Before I go down this path of no return, is there another non electric diesel engine worth looking at that isnt an LD28? The M57 has the dream specs but looks like a wiring nightmare and a lot of things to go wrong. 

I just sold my GMC 6.5td which had ok power but is another wiring ball ache. 

A detroit 353t would be fun but too rare. Also the size looks daunting. 

Open to ideas. 

I have dabbled in this area.

I had an 82 C10 with SBC, went good sounded good but wasn't for me, I put in a 1KZ and A340 box, manual fuel pump, upped the boost and fuel pressure and it went awesome, skids and all, burnt feck all fuel and never let me down. The fella that had it a couple of owners after me rang complaining about how slow it was after he put a 327 back in it. 

47248_468622421188_8176538_n.jpg.718f1d05f4393b798a27328e21a51b3e.jpg

215388_10150216767736189_3778512_n.jpg.a828dacb8baedf1867fb50c9a0b5b3aa.jpg

Current rig is a 76 C10 with 24 valve common rail cummins, its tuned up some and makes good numbers but acceleration wise its not much different to how the 1KZ went with the truck light. The cummins just pulls the same regardless of load / incline etc but it was a major to install with the length and height ( and 520kg weight ) 

322476630_619585813500252_8207171240009653086_n.thumb.jpg.a19a7a9ae15a766b8186aa03a4c6ba69.jpg175341159_10159901027396189_3071638037764486530_n.thumb.jpg.99202df70eb214c8c5a224d63c8187da.jpg

Edit :

And the van, its a 1HDT, goes ok but has some major aerodynamic issues when towing, needs a wind up. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1