Giant

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Is the lift pump working all good?

yep, arm was broken so that was replaced early on, bleeding the system as usual works quite effectively. No abnormal performance when running, actually quite impressed with the motor otherwise.

You can put a bit of clear tube in the return and see if you are getting any air bubbles but wont identify exactly where its pulling air from.

Ā 

I really wish I still had my 300tdi disco, such a great engine, good power and so fuel efficient compared to this pile of crap 4d56t im driving at the moment

2 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

You can put a bit of clear tube in the return and see if you are getting any air bubbles but wont identify exactly where its pulling air from.

Ā 

I really wish I still had my 300tdi disco, such a great engine, good power and so fuel efficient compared to this pile of crap 4d56t im driving at the moment

return off the injectors always has air, kinda bizzarre, tried to bleed it out but its direct back in there.

24 minutes ago, Bearded Baldy said:

As per raizer's find above. Just cut fuel hoseĀ and fit with 2 hose clamps. Easy as.

The fuel lines from the tank are plastic so will have a measure up this weekend, that valve is worth a shot for $20 (if it fits)

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't got around to fitting the valve or searching further for the leak but.... found a part of the problem!

One night during our recent 4wd tour of the south while enjoying a beer I heard hissing from the fuel cap, gave it a spin and it gulped in a huge mouthful of air, even better, the next morning it started first pop. After the nextĀ full day of driving I released the cap to the same result and sure enough, the engine firingĀ up first go the following morning.

I now need to look into the tank breather set up (likely the fuel cap?) and probably looking for a small air leak such as renewing copper washers on the filter (As this is all that has been messed with since before the issue arose other than the new lifter pump)

Positive progress :)Ā 

• Like 7

So i need to put a new exhust under my kzj78 landcruiser as the factory one is falling apart.Ā 

My question is is it worth going to a 3" for or will 2.5 suffice. Currently the truck is stock. But it is mainly used for towing so will be getting a wee bit more boost and fuel in future .

Also its non intercooled. Which i will be changing soon for a factory 90 series intercooler.

Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

So i need to put a new exhust under my kzj78 landcruiser as the factory one is falling apart.Ā 

My question is is it worth going to a 3" for or will 2.5 suffice. Currently the truck is stock. But it is mainly used for towing so will be getting a wee bit more boost and fuel in future .

Also its non intercooled. Which i will be changing soon for a factory 90 series intercooler.

Ā 

3" dump to 2.5" at least seems to be the go, if not full 3".

Ā 

Edit: looked at a lot of 1kz exhaust and intercooler designs and dyno sheets etc.

I'm going full 3" and a w2a barrel intercooler (or the kinda rare factory w2a set up) when I can find time and motivation to actually do it lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustHarry said:

I see kaiapoi repoweres make down pipes for them. The 2.5 is 250 and the 3 is 350. Dunno why its so much more expensive sinceĀ it's almost the same material.

I noticed that too, $100 difference seems rather OTT!

Wife and kids are away so I ripped into the family bus. It has broken swirl flaps in the intake, and theyā€™re stuck shut. Shit I hate working on diesels, I look like a coal miner now.Ā 
Anyway, since I had all 5 injectors out to get the valve cover/intake manifold off I thought I would phone DSL and see how much to get the injectors cleaned/tickled up. He asked me how many kms itā€™s done, and when I replied just over 300k, he said ā€œha ha ha ha ha HA!ā€ Ā Now, I donā€™t think thatā€™s a very helpful attitude.Ā 
Has anyone dealt with a diesel outfit in Canterbury who might be more helpful? Anyway Iā€™m going to chuck them back in with new copper sealing washers for now.Ā 
Did I mention how shit EGR is?

23 hours ago, Sunbeam said:

Wife and kids are away so I ripped into the family bus. It has broken swirl flaps in the intake, and theyā€™re stuck shut. Shit I hate working on diesels, I look like a coal miner now.Ā 
Anyway, since I had all 5 injectors out to get the valve cover/intake manifold off I thought I would phone DSL and see how much to get the injectors cleaned/tickled up. He asked me how many kms itā€™s done, and when I replied just over 300k, he said ā€œha ha ha ha ha HA!ā€ Ā Now, I donā€™t think thatā€™s a very helpful attitude.Ā 
Has anyone dealt with a diesel outfit in Canterbury who might be more helpful? Anyway Iā€™m going to chuck them back in with new copper sealing washers for now.Ā 
Did I mention how shit EGR is?

Ive delt with mds in kaiapoi for 1kz stuff they are easy to deal with and reasonable pricedĀ 

• Like 1

I have zero experience with dez but from what I have seen I think I can throw a seal kit at an L300s injection pump.

(I think there's one seal that tends to be the one that leaks)

Can anyone point me towards some info on stripping and reassembling?Ā 

Removing looks straight forward enough, would I get away with marking the housing to put it back in time?

55 minutes ago, tortron said:

I have zero experience with dez but from what I have seen I think I can throw a seal kit at an L300s injection pump.

(I think there's one seal that tends to be the one that leaks)

Can anyone point me towards some info on stripping and reassembling?Ā 

Removing looks straight forward enough, would I get away with marking the housing to put it back in time?

I've got a dti and adapters to fit the pump to set timing correctly. I can show you how if you want, might as well do the cambelt while you are at it

• Like 1

oh yeah, its not mine so idgaf, but il have a look at it tomorrow and see what the owner feels about it, probabyl can talk them into it and rockauto some cheap parts

yeah i saw how to set it with a dial gauge, that part is pretty easy, was going to barry some scraps together, but borrowing one is way better.Ā 

Ā 

any idea on the guts of the pump itself, i figure its more or less the same as a power steering pump in terms of complexity?

not found any real good strip downs and reassemblies on youtube, i think i found one on a forum but not looked too hard at it. Way too many comments of leave it to the pros (by people that are the 'pros'). I mean i can rebuild a 4l60e so i guess im a pro

A bit more complex, I had the service manual for the Bosch VE pumps downloaded somewhere but I think it was on a HDD that is now a paperweight. Can't remember what breed the L300 pumps are despite working on the turds all the time. There's a few under the workbench though.

3 hours ago, tortron said:

Next question is who would stock a rebuild kit in nz?

They are pretty cheap online, so maybe out of aus with fast shipping would be ok

Any of the diesel repair shops like diesel services shouldĀ have them on the shelf. Is it a turbo one? Ive got a couple of spare pumps if you want to just replace the seals on them and just swap it over

• 2 months later...

hey after some advice, my 13bt diesel blew a head gasket today, I have a good condition 15b dyna engine I have been wanting to put in my cruiser for a while now 3.4L vs 4.1L. I was thinking about putting compound turbos on it. would the stock ct26 from the 13bt work with a hx40 I have? (has a 16cm rear housing) I don't mind getting the injection pump rebuilt\modified to suit boost and more fuels. cheers

• Like 2