Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has me stumped. Can someone stick it in CAD and get the answer easy as?
This is the measurements between the front and rear balljoints... trying to make sure the rear is straight.
image.png.7b043118c526a04123114703bbaffaac.png

Can sketch that up on cad when I'm back in the office tomorrow if you like. Only take a few minutes. Don't let me forget.

Keen to see that Triumph finished.

1 hour ago, Adoom said:

This has me stumped. Can someone stick it in CAD and get the answer easy as?
This is the measurements between the front and rear balljoints... trying to make sure the rear is straight.
image.png.7b043118c526a04123114703bbaffaac.png

LIke that?

Screenshot2024-05-05at7_00_17PM.thumb.png.2921499d2df792ffa6a5f62337518507.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So as expected the little Fiat failed to start while i was home today, all the connections to the starter are doing what they aught so it must be the starter itself.

Obviously my first thought was the battery was flat, and for some reason the alt light has not been lighting up at all. Basically this is either a loose connection or blown bulb.

I had done a cursory check on the charging with a multimeter and I recall it showing a reasonable voltage, around 14.5v I think. I didn't check higher engine speeds tho.

I recalled that I had put LED bulbs in there and my google fu tells me that that circuit needs an incandescent for the alternator to excite. So I will need to sort that out.

However I checked the brand new battery and the one that was in it and the new one was reading 13.4v and the old one 12.9v. This seems high.

To add to the mix I am now using the alt out signal to fire a relay to run the fuel pump, but this was well after the charging check.

Is it possible that some combo of the above has meant I am overcharging the battery? And would that result in such high voltages in those two batteries?

And could that voltage have toasted the starter? 

So many questions, such a thick bastard.

Any load on the batteries when measuring? Try chucking a bulb or something on it and measuring.

Unlikely that a little extra +v would hurt the starter I would think?

3 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Any load on the batteries when measuring? Try chucking a bulb or something on it and measuring.

Unlikely that a little extra +v would hurt the starter I would think?

I just checked both again, no load. The old one is 12.7v, new 13v.

Also the solenoid clicks, I'll grab the starter off and check it on the bench tomorrow.

I guess the actual questions I have are;

Will overcharging leave the batteries at a high but slowly diminishing voltage?

Will running the alternator signal to a relay rather than the charge light fuck the alternator or convince it to put out way to much voltage?

Its a shame I cant just start the engine to check the voltages when running. I have ordered a voltage gauge which will help things...

Battery voltage should be measured at least half an hour after they’ve been taken off charge. You’ll always get an artificially high number otherwise.

12.7 is a perfectly normal voltage for a decent lead acid battery in good, fully charged condition. 13v is still normal range but high end.  Some modern battery chemistries do seem to give higher resting voltage.

Those kind of voltages will not harm your starter. Hell, they’ll generally survive 24v - for a while.

Could just be the solenoid contacts are shot. Maybe accessible to clean up. Otherwise motor has problems. Hopefully nothing worse that worn/stuck brushes.

• Like 1

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/574825/how-do-i-use-a-12v-led-indicator-light-for-an-alternator-i-have-seen-some-on-t

No doubt with your googling you will have seen something like the info in the above link, and you know to ditch the LED and fit a filament lamp. Also as a temp trial remove fuel pump line and power from ign switch. Is fuel pump fed from here as a protection should engine stop with ign on? As in a crash?

33 minutes ago, VitesseEFI said:

Battery voltage should be measured at least half an hour after they’ve been taken off charge. You’ll always get an artificially high number otherwise.

12.7 is a perfectly normal voltage for a decent lead acid battery in good, fully charged condition. 13v is still normal range but high end.  Some modern battery chemistries do seem to give higher resting voltage.

Those kind of voltages will not harm your starter. Hell, they’ll generally survive 24v - for a while.

Could just be the solenoid contacts are shot. Maybe accessible to clean up. Otherwise motor has problems. Hopefully nothing worse that worn/stuck brushes.

Yea I'll give it a test, clean contacts etc.

33 minutes ago, crash said:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/574825/how-do-i-use-a-12v-led-indicator-light-for-an-alternator-i-have-seen-some-on-t

No doubt with your googling you will have seen something like the info in the above link, and you know to ditch the LED and fit a filament lamp. Also as a temp trial remove fuel pump line and power from ign switch. Is fuel pump fed from here as a protection should engine stop with ign on? As in a crash?

Yes as a cut off. However I have a new relay on order that will work off the coil signal.

If you want a contact that has alot to do with barras in jetboats, he has installed ALOT and setup as raceboats and marathons etc. autosprky and very switched on fella. just dont be one of those guys that just ring him  and suck dry on info info  not buy stuff him LOL.

Anyone used Robinsons for speedo calibration?

OK? Timely service?

Their website doesn't inspire confidence, but maybe they are better at doing things than building websites.

image.png.8c1e13645807a63d164243be5fc1b87c.png

18 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Anyone used Robinsons for speedo calibration?

OK? Timely service?

Their website doesn't inspire confidence, but maybe they are better at doing things than building websites.

image.png.8c1e13645807a63d164243be5fc1b87c.png

Haven’t used them in 8 years but they they had a fast turn around and good price, they were really good at the digital speedos like in the soarers 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Early jap nuter said:

Haven’t used them in 8 years but they they had a fast turn around and good price, they were really good at the digital speedos like in the soarers 

Thanks, talked to Auto Instrument Services who our mechanic suggested. I need to count the speedo cable turns while pushing the car 50 meters, wif is going to love helping with that,

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I need to count the speedo cable turns while pushing the car 50 meters, wif is going to love helping with that,

hope the car u gunna make her push, isnt too heavy :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2