Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

That honda one may work if its steel like it says.  is 6 rib but can zing the side off and weld it back on. 

fd rx7 is actually smaller,  120mm so aftermarket under drive probably wont get me there,  if its a thing.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, kpr said:

That honda one may work if its steel like it says.  is 6 rib but can zing the side off and weld it back on. 

fd rx7 is actually smaller,  120mm so aftermarket under drive probably wont get me there,  if its a thing.

Try this, it's also got some fitment of you wanted to measure up at a wrwcker

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-300-337-Power-Steering-Pulley/dp/B01M3Q2XGF

You can also put part numbers into rockauto. Try this one too 12605677 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whats a spray on grey underseal thats a good match for whats factory applied to a 2000s Toyota? I hit something on the road that made a bit of a dent in the floor pan and scraped the underseal off. Panel smashed it good again but need to get some underseal on there to make it look factory again before going for a wof

I've got a 3-piece wheel that's got a tiny leak where the halves join. If I use the soapy water on it, it slowly makes foam.

The bolts are real tight, I suspect they have never been removed. So I guess the bead of sealant around the join has a hole somewhere. 
The plan is to clean it real good and see if I can find the hole using compressed air from the outside... But I guess I'm just going to scrape most of the sealant out and run a new bead. 
But what sealant do I use? Is it the same stuff as roof/gutter sealant, or the stuff for the shower????

Scrape it all out and run a bead round the join. Smoo it out let it dry and then do a 2nd bead/smoo over the top of that. 

I used sikaflex 291 because thats what I had lying round and it seems to stick well to the alloy of the bands

• Like 2

I've had a three piece do the same, right pain, eventually had to split them, throughly clean the join and put back together (sealant between the pieces was a disaster, i'd not do that again unless someone else has a technique?) 100% what Highlux said is what worked for me on the 3rd attempt. Pretty sure we just used window sealant cos thats what we had.

Reliably sticking anything to aluminium is nearly impossible, the steps required to passivate are not easy for at home jobs but having it proper clean is most of the way there, clean off any scale and depending on the sealant, light scuffing with scotchbrite may also help.

My wheels have the center sandwiched between the barrels so it was extra cunty to get them to seal but I got there eventually although a couple have developed a slow leak after sitting for a couple of years so il revisit it once I need them road worthy again. From memory I scuffed the barrels with a wire wheel on a grinder and lots of brake clean before going to smoo town

Just the two long ones that held it together and the two that held the brushes plate on. The little bearing cap seems to be spot welded.

I made a shim for the top of the worn negative brush to get the digger back on the road but even after a good clean the solenoid doesn't always engage properly. $200 new one from America is looking like a good option.

who are our resident frog enthusiasts? 

gf's 2007 peugot 307 hdi is giving us dpf additive low warning on dash. my first question, is there a dpf reservoir under the car somewhere we need to top up, or can we biff in an in-tank additive to make the environment okay again? and secondly, what kind of additive do we need? google saying eolys, but cant seem to find any nz suppliers of this shit? 

google is not definitive with answers, and shes tried a few garages and both have said cant help ya sorry gotta go to peugot dealer. would appreciate any help as modern euro diesel is making my head spin. thanks boes

1 minute ago, TimShadboltfan27 said:

who are our resident frog enthusiasts? 

gf's 2007 peugot 307 hdi is giving us dpf additive low warning on dash. my first question, is there a dpf reservoir under the car somewhere we need to top up, or can we biff in an in-tank additive to make the environment okay again? and secondly, what kind of additive do we need? google saying eolys, but cant seem to find any nz suppliers of this shit? 

google is not definitive with answers, and shes tried a few garages and both have said cant help ya sorry gotta go to peugot dealer. would appreciate any help as modern euro diesel is making my head spin. 

They have a pouch somewhere cant remeber where full of shit that's real bad for you if you spill it .

Will probably need to go back to peugot for them to replace it and reset the counter that tells you it's time to replace .

It's essentially like adblue but worse 

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

They have a pouch somewhere cant remeber where full of shit that's real bad for you if you spill it .

Will probably need to go back to peugot for them to replace it and reset the counter that tells you it's time to replace .

It's essentially like adblue but worse 

thanks mate. had a crawl under the thing and identified the black box which contains the sack, held by 400 different types of elaborate plastic screws which i will no doubt need a specific tool to undo then break 10 of them which cost 8.99 plus GST each. chahoo 

17 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Holy crap, now I see why non-dpf is listed as a selling point in Europe

Is this the same as what you're faced with?

Yea man, not identical but a similar setup. We are dealing with hatch which has slightly different covers and few more things to dismantle to get to it. A hoist would be ideal 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TimShadboltfan27 said:

Yea man, not identical but a similar setup. We are dealing with hatch which has slightly different covers and few more things to dismantle to get to it. A hoist would be ideal 

Nothing I can add but how gross! Quick look through the interwebs about what that "essential" little baggy costs to replace and I want crawl into a corner and cry.

I hope that is an easy resolution.

I watched a video where a guy talks about old 4 bolt flange waste gates sounding much nicer than modern v band flange waste gates. 

this in theory wouldn’t be something easily heard amongst road cars as screamer pipes are illegal right? 

12 hours ago, cubastreet said:

How do I get the end cap off to change the brushes?

And why did Hitachi put in two +ve brushes but only one minus? 

20240312_123609_copy_918x2040.jpg

What model starter?