Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, ID the plastic types you're bonding.

Often when it's two different types (ie. PVC-U to PE etc) it can be damn near impossible.

Went through this when I modified my shifter surround to look/mount OEM but have the hole further back, it was pretty imperative to find the same kind of plastic to ensure a reliable bond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you recall the type of plastic your surround was? I assume all in that era would be the same deal. It's kick panels so seems the same as surround. I'll check on the backside when I get a chance as it likely says. I know the plastics will be different as I'm gluing PLA to it. I'll try a couple of glues if J-B can't handle it. But may just end up joining them with small brackets melted into each part as the join. Cheers.

10 hours ago, Bling said:

Do you recall the type of plastic your surround was? I assume all in that era would be the same deal. It's kick panels so seems the same as surround. I'll check on the backside when I get a chance as it likely says. I know the plastics will be different as I'm gluing PLA to it. I'll try a couple of glues if J-B can't handle it. But may just end up joining them with small brackets melted into each part as the join. Cheers.

what about a urethane or PVC jointing cement like plumbers use ?

On 18/05/2023 at 08:01, Mof said:

It'll probably be pp or pe

Abs was more common in the 80s

Not entirely sure about interoir panels.

But things like mirrors and motorbike fairings are all abs .

Pp is much more pliable and doesnt tent to break.

And pe is pretty much just milkbottles 

Abs is easy af to weld 

Pp is ok to weld 

And pe sucks dick 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sentra said:

Do they take vband clamps with a wider vee groove? I don’t think the one on my exhaust is correct as it’s sitting up on the shoulder of the flange bit and looks uncomfortable 

Kinda yes, there seems to be no widespread industry standard for V band clamps, i've found plenty of variance in both size and contour from different suppliers additionally some size off the band, some off the tube.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2023 at 16:24, mjrstar said:

Not really tech but where do I buy EFI hose which is pre-shaped..

I need a short radius 90 degree 12mm ID.  Welcomed to fuel smell and puddle in the shed this morning fml.

Cheers 

On 03/04/2023 at 16:48, mjrstar said:

Yeah this is what I did, and it's ugly.

Tempted to try and form my own rubber hose.

On 03/04/2023 at 16:50, oldrx said:

Bit of no.8 wire bent roughly to radius push on hose add heat, what could go wrong 

On 03/04/2023 at 22:42, smokin'joe said:

could be as simple as forming non-braided hose, whereby one 'scorches' the inside radius around a hot former........ same way coiled air-hoses are formed, and coiled shaver cords are done.

thin-wall metal tube and a grunty electric paint stripper gun

On 04/04/2023 at 00:22, tortron said:

This popped up today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Partners immovable carnivore diet just collided with an unstoppable Gulab Jamun dessert. Messy

Oops, not spam.

Who'd want a little 'cArduino' in a die cast alu box, for controlling just a couple of things, like fan / window wiper intermittent, maybe electric park brake?

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, tortron said:

This popped up today

This is a game changer, thanks Tortise! 

I never knew this tool  existed.

One of the "been putting it off/too hard basket" jobs on my ute has been the heater hoses. (I need some pretty acute angles) 

The tube bender springs arent even that spendy. 

https://hvactools.co.nz/product/imperial-spring-tube-benders/?attribute_sku=102-F-05&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4NujBhC5ARIsAF4Iv6e-PT_VMjIC5S0mVTXw8OJ5c9cvEvQWO08JcpHdZaQvMxRaGfSoBFYaAgNpEALw_wcB

I wonder how much/if the heat will shorten the life of the hose?

• Like 2

Butler Auto probably has what you need, just have to go through the online shop and check all the listings for something that suits. Worked for me anyway, they seemed to have every combo in every size.

On 31/05/2023 at 18:13, shizzl said:

Righto, refitting the IACV on the 4age.

but where do these 5 ports go to?

I only have 2 water lines from the block that can tap into it.

IMG_5994.jpeg

I haven't play with stock stuff since forever ago,   but pretty sure the bigger 2 are are water.   rest are vac for various things.  idle up solenoids and the likes.  can block them off.

water at educated guess are far left and far right (bendy one)   but should be able to figure it out by blowing through them

Can anyone confirm which if any supercheaps in auckland take waste oil. Internet says they all do but I don't recall seeing any oil bins

Repco doesn't take it anymore (then stop selling it, that's very rubbish of you) 

• Like 1

Thr Papakura one doesn't take it

I don't think any others do. It's pretty rubbish, il just pour it on a taniwha shall i

Council site says supercheap, but I haven't seen the big yellow bin out front for a while. 

I have like 60L to get rid of, so a burner would be a good investment