Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More computer questions sorry

My laptop does this sometimes and takes aaaaaaaages  

Last time I thought it was broken because it was stuck like this for a few hours but it eventually worked,  I deleted a million files and it made it work faster , figured it took ages because it hadn't been connected to internet for 6 months so had a lot of updates to do 

This morning it's been slow as again, restarted it and it's been blue screen for about an hour 

Why the thing do that? 

20230201_111721.jpg

Could be getting old and the hard drive starting to fail.
Usually when they're starting to die, they slow down heaps.

Quick fix would be to backup all your files (to google or usb stick, or cd or something) and buy a SSD hard drive and get a techie to put that in for you. Should speed it up something fierce.

• Thanks 1

I don't really know, i'd expect it to last longer than 3 years though. Though laptop hardware usually has a harder time than a desktop as they tend to run hotter and have zero airflow. Which takes it toll.

If you get a replacement, make sure to go SSD as they are orders of magnitude faster than conventional hard drives. And they cheap as chips now, and probably last longer as they aren't mechanical.

Have a look at getting a google account with google drive. Its free (for 15gigs and can pay to get more) but ideal for keeping things you don't want to lose when your computer dies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How old is it? I have one in my garage that is super old and only has 2 cores, even loading youtube up gives it a heart attack. As Goat says, SSD can make a big difference, even if the rest is old as fuck, it makes things a lot quicker in general. Can only flog a horse so much though. Grabbing an ex lease laptops are pretty cheap and if your laptop is 4-5 years old, it's what i'd do. Every few years the mrs complains her laptop is slow, so I buy her another ex lease one, rinse and repeat. Usually costs ~$300 to replace.

• Like 1

I recently breathed some life into a 9 year old business spec laptop with a splash more ram and an SSD, its perfectly cromulent, and is pretty well built compared to a newer cheapy. Definitely recommend chucking some of that at an old device if it was half decent to start with

• Like 2

If it‘s windows 10…. They all do that sir. Microsoft seem to forget who’s computer it is.

+ 1 for the SSD drive. I did this to our main home laptop a couple of years back and improvement was just astonishing. I cloned the original HDD onto the SSD, so fresh install was not a factor.

• Like 1