Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be worth popping in to a PBtech store if you're near one. They tend to have lots on display. See what you think works for you size wise, weight wise, available tough cases etc. Happy to then compare options if your weighing some up. If you wanted a pc and had a budget I could write up the specs to go for easy. But I think you should "try some on" in store and see what you like first. Just so many variables for me to recommend any one unit. Will you want it for desktop use with keyboard etc.

Cameras are at least dirt cheap now for great units. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a galaxy a7 tab for off road navigation, in an aliexpress hardcase it handles all the abuse, dropped/rained on etc.

screen is quite terrible through the cheap cover which may encourage a better option for you?

Had it a few years but was below $400, usb and sd card slots to transfer data.

083164B8-7A14-4A2D-8ACA-3C68E8B4DD47.jpeg.b355f95fa793e3d210a84ccf9bd9f88d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 21:31, cletus said:

Recommend me a tablet plz 

Need one for work. Will be used daily a lot,

will keep many photos on it 

Needs to be big like a4 sheet size 

Need to be able to write on the screen with a pen thing (stylus?)

Needs to be reasonably tough /drop proof 

Android would be preferable  

I daily a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with a hard case and keyboard. It's mint, similar environmental conditions to you. If you're working with it, and have Microsoft on your main computer it keeps everything easier and more professional than swapping between Android and MS. Apple can get fucked

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oldrx7 said:

Ipad is camera

image.png.0b0eabd44560dcc0a7f558794d55ac0d.png

/

Ling

But yeh, head to a PB tech and have a good browse

He won't be able to poke that down in an engine bay to give us fail  photos of slag included stick welded engine mounts made from panel steel and missing all but one fastener.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Went to pb tech, they didn't really have that many tablets to choose from, found a beardy long hair guy who was very helpful. Laughed and pulled a face when I asked if any of them had cd writing capabilities

but got the stuff I need, I think. 

Anyway,  next retard question 

To make a file, for a cert job, I need to be able to import pdfs, write on them, add photos, and put it in one lump of info I can send/put on a cd 

What's a good program to use for that? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cletus said:

OK. Went to pb tech, they didn't really have that many tablets to choose from, found a beardy long hair guy who was very helpful. Laughed and pulled a face when I asked if any of them had cd writing capabilities

but got the stuff I need, I think. 

Anyway,  next retard question 

To make a file, for a cert job, I need to be able to import pdfs, write on them, add photos, and put it in one lump of info I can send/put on a cd 

What's a good program to use for that?

So you're hand writing on a PDF form, or typing into boxes on one?

• Like 1

Hand writing on to a pdf  

As far as I can figure, I download the copies of the check sheets from lvvta into the tablet, then I can copy them into a job file for 'x' customer, and write on them on the tablet. 

Most can remain as a file , but some have to be supplied in physical bits of paper so I can print those ones out 

Then add photos and burn to a disc which then gets couriered to lvvta for processing 

Apparently next year sometime there will be the option of sending electronically via a cloud??  but I'm not sure exactly when that's happening. 

I was going to just stick with the oldschool method of doing it all on paper but I want to get the tablet deal sorted, so when the completely electronic method is available I know what I'm doing, because that will make a cert theoretically possible to do start to finish in a day , rather than 5 days  

• Like 5