Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

moryes in a diff or gearbox dilutes the ep additives and it will blow up or shorten it's life.

Interdasting.

I once read a post by a very very clever man who said that diff oil needs to have stronger voodoo/black magic to account for the shearing action between the angles on the teeth on the crownwheel and pinion.

Heavy duty oil stabilizers state on the bottle to just chuck it in bro. But they're only petroleum based. So probably quite weak in the sourcery dept.

but with old shit like this, where the gears were carved out of stone, the manufacturers recommendation might be legit.

wheres Shandawg when you need an oil expert?

What are tow bars made from? i thought it was mild steel but it was hard work cutting it and drilling it, can only go 2 mm deep before it turns hard like tool steel. Chipped a piece off, it appears soft on the outside but the core is all crystallized. Wouldn't have thought it would work harden but maybe it has?

I have seen a few towbars made out of off cuts of hardox or bisloue before , that shits next to impossible to drill, hit the edge of it with a grinder and look at the colour and size of the sparks that will give you a good indication as to its hardness

I have seen a few towbars made out of off cuts of hardox or bisloue before , that shits next to impossible to drill, hit the edge of it with a grinder and look at the colour and size of the sparks that will give you a good indication as to its hardness

Yellow.  Very much like mild steel.

Alternate method to set torque on steering box worm shaft?

Torque driver is over $400 USD. Factory manual specifies 1.0 - 4.0 cm-kg (0.9 to 3.5 in-lb). 

Would take it to a shop if it was a quick job but adjustment is via shims so a lot of mucking around/hrs/$