Captain Cletus's leaky vessel

cletus

heres another thing to spend time on. Me and my brother got given this

DSCF0934.jpg

DSCF0947.jpg

DSCF0932.jpg

DSCF0942.jpg

I dont know squat about boats. Dont even know what year it would be. I do know its 20 ish foot long, it has a 140hp volvo stern drive thing which doesnt run.

Its been sitting around for years- my grandpa swapped a porsche 356 for it probably 25-30 years ago. i remember going on it once when i was a kid, pop said he had a lot of trouble with the engine, he pulled the head off for some reason and its been sitting since then.

First job will be a set of tyres and probably some wheel bearings, and a new drawbar on the trailer so we can get it to my brothers place in whitianga.

the bottom bit is fiberglass, the top is wood which appears to be quite rotten in places, so due to budget restraints, it may end up a very simplified version with a new top bit but no cabin

or it may just rot at his house instead of grandpas, lol

anybody with boat knowledge, feel free to enlighten me with your wisdom

• Like 7

That rot isn't all that bad. A boat builder would charge quite a bit to fix it cause they'll want to do an immaculate job. If you just want to get it seaworthy, drop a few hundy on a good marine epoxy kit, a sheet of marine ply and some screws and go nuts.

Was looking mint till I got to the third and forth pictures...

Boats like OldSchool cars can never be justified by accountants, only by the passion and enjoyment derived from them.

If you can fix cars then woodwork and fibreglass won't be too hard for you.

Saying that I don't miss the maintenance on my boat and sail with Dad instead.

Felix is 100% correct tbh, I had the fine idea of boating and after 6 months of it sitting in my carport with a half built trailer and a half disassembled motor I was a happy motherfucker when it was hauled away..

PS Cool boat!! you should totally boat the shit out of it!!