DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/07/2023 at 00:23, yoeddynz said:

I was after 3 bosch BIP373 ignitor drivers but its seems they've been out of production for a while. So the new alternative is this...

Or use coil packs with built in igniters as used on lots of VAG stuff. 4 pot is really easy. 6 pot less common but they do exist.

https://lowcostracingsolutions.co.uk/ignition-coilpacks-and-ht-cables/14-wasted-spark-coil-pack-with-internal-igniters.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183509104076?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pfWVgpugSlK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=L4l_9R0bRTe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 3

On 02/07/2023 at 11:23, yoeddynz said:

Screenshot2023-07-02at11-22-22DryJulyBortTurnsToSnortSPAM.png.4d9b99ef98bcc855883f4ed2c6593323.png

@h4nd  ... cheers.

I was after 3 bosch BIP373 ignitor drivers but its seems they've been out of production for a while. So the new alternative is this...

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/coil-driver-kit/

But postage is excessive. So I looked up OnSemi EcoSPARK IGBT and found them all over the place but there's various different models and my brain started to smoke when I tried to work out what to get.

Like this...

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/igbts/2410728?cm_mmc=NZ-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_NZ_EN_Fallback_Whoop-_-(NZ:Whoop!)+All+Products-_-2410728&matchtype=&pla-293946777986&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnf-kBhCnARIsAFlg492mG4wDqPoHH3pRLzCB_sjehTvm24w4QkREUBR61FSGuxw4wSha4ooaAhzoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would a external module work eg the bim023 (assuming your going wasted spark) 

3 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

yeah - that's what 'd like to create. The old bip373 ignitors worked so well on my Viva with a second hand mitsi GTslow coil pack. So looking to re-create that setup with easily available parts in NZ.

P1070448 (Large).JPG

How about this 3 channel ignitor from a Mitsubishi Galant v6.

received_286413537125268.thumb.jpeg.016892dcfed9eaa6e48ade39a19eba5b.jpeg

They run a 3 coil setup. My mate used one with mitsi coils on his rb30det with good results.

You can have this one if you want it. I hoarded it 15 yrs ago to do the same but never got round to it.

• Thanks 1

@fletch that would be superb of you! Thanks so much. Would be perfectly ideal for a mitsi coil or one of the ford mundano V6 coil packs I have in mind. I didn't actually know these ignitor existed. Just did a quick search and found this info... 

https://www.stealth316.com/2-pwrtransunit.htm

That mitis ignitor module has just what I need because it leaves the ecu to control dwell etc (which if my memory serves me right is about 3.6 ms for the mitsi gtslow coilpack I'd used in the Viva) 

I'll send you a PM :cheers:

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 14:02, fletch said:

How about this 3 channel ignitor from a Mitsubishi Galant v6.

received_286413537125268.thumb.jpeg.016892dcfed9eaa6e48ade39a19eba5b.jpeg

They run a 3 coil setup. My mate used one with mitsi coils on his rb30det with good results.

You can have this one if you want it. I hoarded it 15 yrs ago to do the same but never got round to it.

I have another one of these and a matching set of coils if you are interested @yoeddynz

On 06/07/2023 at 17:35, Stu said:

I might have one spare floating around you can have if you want.

Thanks so much for the offer Stu but I think I'm sorted on the ignitor now. However- the info/ideas for ignitor possibilities is good stuff for future readers of this thread with similar needs.

40 minutes ago, Corbie said:

I have another one of these and a matching set of coils if you are interested

Heya cool- can you PM me a pic of the coils? They might be the same ones I had used in my Viva. I guess you had got them for your Maxi project?

3 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Thanks so much for the offer Stu but I think I'm sorted on the ignitor now. However- the info/ideas for ignitor possibilities is good stuff for future readers of this thread with similar needs.

Heya cool- can you PM me a pic of the coils? They might be the same ones I had used in my Viva. I guess you had got them for your Maxi project?

Yea left overs from the maxi project.

20230708_131741.thumb.jpg.e8e0fa5e1ad60aa76c2f851fd448bd3e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still trying to decide on which wideband setup to get. Its either going to be a 14 point 7 spartan 3  or an AEM x series. Both offer CANbus for a nice clean accurate and fast signal that I might as well go for.

Anyway in searching for info/tests/comparisons I found this old thread that spans a few years on freds diyefi forum.  Its all about wideband controllers and gets quite nice and nerdy.

Skip the first load of pages and head straight to page 16 which, in 2015, is just after AEM released their x series. Make some popcorn and read the entertaining cat fight between DelSolid who works for AEM in California and toalan, the Canadian behind 14 point 7.

http://forum.diyefi.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2267&start=150

I've not yet finished reading it all.

But its getting heated :lol:

I'm using a Spartan 3, have used the early version with the analog output (as the canbus didnt work, so new later model one sent under warranty)

and then with canbus. 

Both seemed crazy fast response time compared to 4.9 or 4.2 sensors. Not having to squish a range of results down to a 0-5v signal means you can get readings right out to 50:1 and incredibly rich as well. 

Which is sort of pointless, but when you're initially dialling in a tune it means it takes fewer steps to get to the right point. 

The best part though, is I'm still on my first and only LSU-ADV sensor. Where as I've probably got nearly a dozen blown up 4.2 and 4.9 sensors kicking around. 

Definitely an A+ rating for Spartan 3 from me. But make sure to get the LSU-ADV. 

• Like 2