Mega Shed of Ed.

0R10N

So earlier this year I finally bought my first house on a 680sqm section. Property only came with a small car-and-a-half garage, but the back yard was the perfect size for a nice large shed.

195522745_full.jpg

Shopped around various garage companies and managed to get a six-berth 9m x 10.8m sorted for a smidge under 50k.

garage.jpg

Sold the old single-car shed for removal, hilarity ensued after the buyer turned out to be a gigantic diddle who kept not turning up to dismantle it, and ended up delaying the start of construction by a week.

6490982641_a92963f1b3_z.jpg

So the OS wrecking crew came to the rescue by tying the remains of the old garage to Ned's LS400, then proceeded to pull it down. The rest of the afternoon consisted of sitting on the deck drinking vailima, BBQs errday, and scooter b-owts.

jUEybbvZKM4

oK80txsuAcY

Sorted.

6491358415_afa212fd34_z.jpg

With the old garage nowe gone (and rubbish pushed off to one side) construction finally started yesterday with the arrival of boxing equipment, a digger, and a fat guy in stubbies and a hi-vis.

471147760.jpg

I set up a tripod in the spare room which overlooks the back yard, and plan to take a photo every couple of days to document progress (although there will be a small gap Thursday-Sunday as I'm heading to Wellington, with camera in tow)

Here is progress after Day 2. Hole is dug, boxing in place, and most of the old pad is gone.

6503933639_75ff2a6897_b.jpg

Flickr photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/turbo16vdo ... 398890173/

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How deep is the pad you are getting? If you (ever) plan to get a hoist put in - you may want to just have a check on depth requirements and the MPa/m^2 or whatever they quote concrete strength in so you don't end up dissapointed later.

Look forward to your documentation of process/progress.

Pad depth is whatever the non-habitable structure standard is. Due to local council restrictions the stud is only 2.4m high, so a hoist is pretty much out of the question unless I was to investigate buying one with under a metre of lift.

however the wallet is as moth-eaten as it is ever going to get, so I doubt it would ever eventuate. Jacks and axle stands will suffice.

yup, more than the capacity of the shed currently :oops:

and my brother has just left his car with me to be repaired after a mishap with the front left hub, so a total of 8.

Doesn't worry me too much as I'll just alternate what gets left outside/keep one at my parents' (oh they love me, truly)

Is the garage now bigger than your house?

Haha, not quite. Pretty close though - 98sqm as opposed to 117sqm for the house.

End of Day 3. Someone has left a digger in front of the window, and lots of gravel. Next update will be Day 8, upon my return from Wellington.

6509036085_05e8fea917_b.jpg

will be a good size shed. Shame you couldnt get away with 2.7 stud as its nice to have. 50 k is a good price too. ~ $500 a square is cheap. Was this signed off under the supercity? Seems you must be covering a big chunk of your land between house,garage and driveway.

Yup, it was all signed off post-supercity. Ironically my flatmate werks for the council but didn't pull any strings to get it approved (although he did peek at my file and advise me on progress a few times).

Total lead time from acceptance to approval was three and a half weeks.

there's still a crapload of lawn at the front of my section (enough to park four cars if only there wasn't a stump in the way), and on the other side of the garage which will eventually contain a bunch of fruit trees and a vege patch. Total unpermeable coverage is only something like 45% including the driveway and big paved bit between house and garage.

Hey Ed,

If there is a chance you could put a 3rd row of clear-lite in the Roof I would suggest you do it, I wish I had put more in the roof of my shed for overcast days..

(I might still get someone in to pull some of the iron off and switch it out for clear panels)