Ned's 10cyl 310cc 2 smoke

Ned

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shaft snapped :(

May have to re-think this one TBH... make it a 5 opposed twin crank on crank and spin 1/2 backwards with 2 sprockets to counter the side loading and a bearing in the middle? means i need 3 plates but fuck it.... open to ideas at this point anyway.

Could just get a new shaft, but it's bound to happen again. This is only the force of a 1 or 2 KW starter motor... imagine the full force of the 9 other motors instead.

Though the shaft is/was hollow so wasn't going to be too strong but thought it would survive this :(

Also; no chain tensioner. but the chain would move a bit... about 1" or maybe more of movement on the chain on the long bit?

The one that snaps is the first one to take the force of the starter motor and because the starter doesn't have a gradual on stage, it gets full force on it instantly when i try and start it.

dont think anyone has said this but I think your chain is too tight

If i run my chain any looser, it drags on the flywheels spinning the oppsite direction etc. It's def not a loose chain, but it wasn't killer tight i don't think.

would run the chain loose but then run a chain tensioner to take up the slack - or have one of the end motors on a set of a slotted holes to adjust out the chain slack.

If you run the chain at "perfect length" then unless you have the motors PERFECTLY spaced to the pitch of the chain then you are going to load the fuck out of the 2 pivotal crankshafts - the 1 at either end where the chain wraps around most of the sprocket..

(I don't know the correct engineering terms for these points but I think you may get what I mean)

What if instead of chains linking them together, they were all gears? Or perhaps support the shaft on the other side of the sprocket too so the only force on the shaft is torsional.

Or both?

Gear drives have to be really really well aligned to work good. A chain will give you heaps more bonus tolerance