Ned's 10cyl 310cc 2 smoke

Ned

Hi all...

Had a sweet plan originally to build something epicly rad but that fell through so went to the local dump shop, looked around and saw a MASSIVE pile of weed eaters and decided that getting 2 or 4 of them running together would be ace so asked the guy how much.

$15

How much if i buy a few?

$10 if buying 10+

Ok, giz 10!

So got 11 of them for $100 as one had no compression so got it for spares. Turns out is missing a spark plug :P

IMG_20110923_142825.jpg

Now this is what the work workshop looked like this weekend (we do electronic engineering)

IMG_20110924_151208.jpg

IMG_20110924_151221.jpg

so lawn mower motors, weed eaters, 4AGE blocks, raleigh 20, 3" LS400 exhaust etc :)

Got a couple motors running, 1 quite well, but decided i should give them a cleand (thanks for offering the use of the work parts washer John!) and clean out the carbs and bake the carbs clean before seeing what i can get going.

So here is a pile of shit i don't need anymore

IMG_20110927_185431.jpg

Box O carbs

IMG_20110927_185457.jpg

Ignition (to be tested and maybe replaced by sweet shit? who knows)

IMG_20110927_185451.jpg

Exhausts, heat shields and intake covers to be cleaned

IMG_20110927_185444.jpg

and, of course, 10 little motors lined up :P

IMG_20110927_185823.jpg

Will flip one bank upside down and weave a chain through some sprockets that i'll somehow magically mount onto the flywheel... some thinking to be done here!

Also, anyone thinking of doing the same? DON'T! everything is quite costly... because you need 10 of everything!

Sure, sprocket isn't too costly... but 10? same as new gaskets or spark plugs etc etc... all adds up lol

• Like 2

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

re phonecall, maud kirk on church st 1/2" tpi

for the purpose of making rangiracers you can use ansi or bs / whatever is in stock or cheaper,

was quite a bit cheaper than saeco/precision and they had them on the shelf more imprtantly

edit, also mention to the younger(38?) guy there what your doing, i showed him a picture

and he went out his way to put it through as trade / hand shandys etc

I had thought of doing the same thing once the talk of drome bikes got heavy haha pitty there is no velodrome anywhere near either of the citys I live in as far as I know

This is awesome btw and 10 of everything is totally worthwhile!

theres one in hornby, but not public access :( its exactly the reason why i have no motivation to finish my bike

why would you need to turn the cylinder?

for example. a 2 stroke motorcross bike just needs a bump start backwards to run in reverse.

Having pulled many 2 smokes apart i dont see a reason to turn the cyl.

Just curious btw

and Ned, circle or two banks of 5, two motors on common sprocket one running backwards ftw.

why would you need to turn the cylinder?

for example. a 2 stroke motorcross bike just needs a bump start backwards to run in reverse.

Having pulled many 2 smokes apart i dont see a reason to turn the cyl.

Just curious btw

and Ned, circle or two banks of 5, two motors on common sprocket one running backwards ftw.

on some 2 strokes can you make them to run in revere by turning the cylinder 180?? :oops:

no need to complicate things with all this running in reverse bs,

ned's sharp hes putting one bank of five above the drive chain and one below on the opposite side.

I like the idea of mounting each bank on some thick plywood spaced apart with steel tube spacers with the drive chain gap between,

it would give the engines a little damping for the severe amounts of vibration to follow.

Have one bank of 5 offset one motors forward and space them a sprockets width apart so you can go over under with chain so you get maximum chain contact.

Lock all clutches bar one and remove half the flywheels for max lol idle.

This will be hilariously scary if you actually doit.

DOIT.