Mikeys '72 Datsun 240z

mikey

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rad didn't know you were going to Leadfoot. Car looks pretty sharp all shiney and stuff. Does it feel a bit faster than with the old motor? A bit lighter on it's feet? If it doesn't quite feel mega fast then it might be related to that fueling issue eh...

You must be quite pleased.

Did old Rod look at your car?

If you were bored one day and looking for something to fill that gap in your engine bay, a strut brace could do the trick aye - might stiffen up the old shell a little.

Effing rad man. Well done. Can't wait to see/hear it in real life.

Rad didn't know you were going to Leadfoot. Car looks pretty sharp all shiney and stuff. Does it feel a bit faster than with the old motor? A bit lighter on it's feet? If it doesn't quite feel mega fast then it might be related to that fueling issue eh...

You must be quite pleased.

Did old Rod look at your car?

If you were bored one day and looking for something to fill that gap in your engine bay, a strut brace could do the trick aye - might stiffen up the old shell a little.

Effing rad man. Well done. Can't wait to see/hear it in real life.

Yeah I'm stoked. It's waaay quicker than the old engine. It's hard to know for sure until I'm at the track. I'd like to try some 0-100 times too just to see.

But yeah, will be better once I've sussed some of it's issues.

Rod didn't check out my car, it probably looks pretty predestrian to him!

I will suss a strut brace, I haven't had one since I put the coil overs in.

shit this is so sweet. any thoughts into sprucing up the motor visually?

Yeah I'll black wrinkle the plenum. Ultimately I'd like to put a different plenum in, or even ITB's but I'll just stick to this for now :)

Man this thing is fun to drive! Thanks for trusting me to pilot it for a while.

I don't even vote ITB's... It will be awesome as is once the niggles are ironed out - reliable, fast and a good sound to boot. It would be nice if your exhaust didn't eat tarmac all the time though :P .

Man this thing is fun to drive! Thanks for trusting me to pilot it for a while.

I don't even vote ITB's... It will be awesome as is once the niggles are ironed out - reliable, fast and a good sound to boot. It would be nice if your exhaust didn't eat tarmac all the time though :P .

No wozzas. Thanks for the help debugging it. Got a few ideas about what to look at next.

And since I'm so susceptible to peer pressure I'm sure there'll be a forthcoming skid vid soon. ha ha

• Like 1

did i just see this getting on the motorway at western springs? man if that was your ride it sounds awesome... looks the part too.

Oh thanks man, Yeah, I got a little enthusiastic at the on-ramp. Those lights trigger something in my head.

best looking car on this site

Woah woah woah! There're heaps of rad looking cars here. But thanks. It's been big work.

Still a long way to go too. The car really needs a repaint, it's starting to bubble a lift all over the show. I might farm that work out....

But it feels great to have gotten it back on the road! Yeah!

• 3 weeks later...

that was me behind you in the landcruiser at western springs this morning. i tooted the horn but you shunned me.

your car sounds pretty spluttery when it cuts out, like its firing sometimes rather than just a complete cut out?

that's what it sounded like to me anyway.

I wasn't shunning you, I just couldn't hear you now my car is so well insulated - ha ha.

The drive to work was my test run. It cut out real bad then. I think I actually had to turn the key off an on to get it back.

This is partly why I'm focussing on the cutting out now; it's gotten a lot worse.

Sometimes it sputters, sometimes it cuts completely.

I'll hook the timing light up to it and take if for a drive tonight. If the timing light stops blinding me when it sputters then I guess it's spark. Which probably doesn't help me much. Ha ha

i had some cutting out issues when i first got the V8 going.

turned out the spade connectors (that were supplied with the relay they were plugged into) were hardly touching the terminals on the relay. every time it got a bit of vibration it would cut out.

turning the car off and back on again would usually make it contact again.

anywho, yes you did have to turn it off and back on.

guy behind you was taking photos and nearly hit you.