Mikeys '72 Datsun 240z

mikey

I agree very much with Brad. Be very careful, after driving my car down for a cert and back to TA i am now trying to back track a bit. I have defiantly started bordering on being more track oriented than road with my skyline and i haven't done alot to it.

Doing a half cage and harnesses isnt to bad. Its all the running gear to make it fast on the track that makes it a bit of a chore to cruise with on the road.

If you want sweet seats i recommend these. These are for skyline but im sure would fit a Z with out to much effort.

psc2011202.JPG

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

THE FORCE IS WITH YOU.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

work your arse off and fall asleep during the tour. be sweet.

Thanks for the encoragement. It's actually looking quite doable now. So long as there's no surprisadoodles.

Cannot wait to hear a video of this thing running, i LOVE the sound these motors make with a decent exhaust :). Bloody awesome work!

Yeah, not far away. Hopefully this weekend. Whoop.

The ID of the spacer is 66mm so I need to take that out to 73mm which is the widest part of the hub. Then the wheel's ID is 73.5mm so I'll need the locator ring to go from 73 to 73.5mm Should be doable because the part of the hub that sticks through is tapered.

Mag wheel shop is probably a good option, I just wasn't sure if they do their own machining or if they send them off.

Good luck man. Don't forget a air filter. You know with them brakes - does all the pad surface grip disk where they currently sit? Or is there a bit just grasping at air? (hence the need to move 'em at a later date...)

Twats happening with the exahust? Are you just hooking them fancy headers up to the existing drainpipe?

Does it need to be inspected by a man with a clipboard before you take it on the road?

Yeah I got a K&N a little while ago at your suggestion. I might even hook it up tonight!

With the brakes there's about 2mm of air-grasping, which apparently a lot of people run brakes like that. But yeah, that's why I'll move them in a couple of mm at some point.

I spoke to the guys who I want to do the exhaust yesterday. They're pretty busy but if things go well this week for them, and me, they might have a day free to do it next week. Which'd be perfect. So will talk to them on Monday. Otherwise I'll get a muffler shop to do it.

It'll be a new exhaust from the headers back.

Mr Clipboard, does indeed need to give it the all clear, however that's not gonna stop me taking it on the road. Because meh AND my Subaru's cam belt snapped on Friday which is about as gay as it gets.

I own 3 cars and a scooter and only one car runs....

Yeah I got a K&N a little while ago at your suggestion. I might even hook it up tonight!

With the brakes there's about 2mm of air-grasping, which apparently a lot of people run brakes like that. But yeah, that's why I'll move them in a couple of mm at some point.

I spoke to the guys who I want to do the exhaust yesterday. They're pretty busy but if things go well this week for them, and me, they might have a day free to do it next week. Which'd be perfect. So will talk to them on Monday. Otherwise I'll get a muffler shop to do it.

It'll be a new exhaust from the headers back.

Mr Clipboard, does indeed need to give it the all clear, however that's not gonna stop me taking it on the road. Because meh AND my Subaru's cam belt snapped on Friday which is about as gay as it gets.

I own 3 cars and a scooter and only one car runs....

Mmmm. Very good very good. Good good good.

Yeah I mean it has some sort of cert for the suspension anyway innit. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get A: pulled over, B: have 'em look in the engine bay and C: know it's a different engine.

Was that exhaust place some sort of recommendation? Man they can have such an influence them pipe benders - a muffler shop might give you summink that sounds a bit rubbish innit. You going 3 inch or 2.5? I say 2.5. Mandrel bent if poss. 3 inchers tend to drone and blare a bit and kinda all sound the same - no difference in flow either as the smaller diameter keeps the gas hot and flowing, wheras the bigger pipes cool it down and slow it up. So they say anyway.

Oh no! Did it do much damage? Hopefully not in need of a third engine! And the little putt putt too out of action. What is your third car? The 'rolla?

The ID of the spacer is 66mm so I need to take that out to 73mm which is the widest part of the hub. Then the wheel's ID is 73.5mm so I'll need the locator ring to go from 73 to 73.5mm Should be doable because the part of the hub that sticks through is tapered.

Ahh, I see. Usually its the other way around, on the inner face wheel face you need a hubcentric ring to get the hub seating diameter out to the ID of the spacer... Your's is the other way around? You need to machine the spacer out to your hub's seating diameter? Any machine shop, or workshop with a lathe should be able to do that in no time, surely?

This car is just the best.

As a general rule I'm a fan of the old car appearance, new car drivetrain...

But this is my favourite ever Japanese car, with a bloody awesome engine and box etc in it...

Doesnt get much better than that!

Look forward to seeing how this comes along.

The rad is pretty rad. Deffo looks better than a shiney silver one. A lot of peeps will be looking in the engine bay so best it looks nice in there aye. So can TTT fix stuff like your wheel spacers? That could be good. Have you still got the old Hilux disks? You know, just in case? To get it operational for the deadline...