Mikeys '72 Datsun 240z

mikey

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it will no doubt blow your undies clean off with churness, they are a great engine.

I'm pretty chur'd at the moment! Canny wait to get stuck into it.

oh, did you sort an engine crane? can use mine if its likely to only be a few weeks

edit: looks like there is one in your pic of motor

Yeah I bought a 2T one from Save Barn, it's surprisingly good! I figure I'll end out using it heaps so I might as well buy one. Plus I'll probably take closer to 3 months!

just had cams and that slightly sporty exhaust system. Otherwise stock. Mikey's can make the same noise one day!

The real stink thing is no one really makes proper headers for that engine, as far as I know. Because of the design of the stock exhaust where the headers are real short and bolt to down pipes, all the aftermarket ones are equally short.

The ones in that vid replace the down pipes too, so were longer. Which is probably why they sound so good. But that company has gone out of business. Booo.

what are the factory numbers for that motor? (like power and shit) and do you know what it weighs??

let me know if you want to weigh it and ill bring my super sophisticated engine weighing stuff.

also, if you need any aluminum welding done give me a hollah (like missy elliot does)

what are the factory numbers for that motor?

It should be around 300hp & 274 lb·ft at 4800 rpm. It kinda depends on what year it is. The early ones were 287hp and 260 lb·ft, I still haven't confirmed what year this one is! Must do that, but I'm kinda dreading it. ha ha

and do you know what it weighs??

With all manifolds and no accessories it's supposedly 150kg, I can't remember what I worked out the old engine to be but it was heavier by a wee way. The 350z gearbox is deffo heavier than the 240z one though.

We could weigh it if you can be bothered? It sure would be interesting. I don't have a lot of room in my shed for big weighing stuff though.

also, if you need any aluminum welding done give me a hollah (like missy elliot does)

That'd be awesome! Thanks. I'll certainly hit you up when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Slick work, will be very very interested in the fly-by-wire throttle install, I find that shit fascinating.

What CAD software do you use? I'm on this 'not using illegally obtained software' kick at the moment, which means no more solidworks at home for me... know of anything open-source and not utterly shit?

Looking good man, so how'd you get on with the motor/sump clearing the original front crossmember?

The cross member'll have to be notched pretty hard, that's a job for Saturday so I'll keep you posted.

What CAD software do you use? I'm on this 'not using illegally obtained software' kick at the moment, which means no more solidworks at home for me... know of anything open-source and not utterly shit?

Funny you should mention that, I'm using FreeCAD which is free as in beer. You should give it a nudge. I've never used anything else before so can't really tell you how it compares. It's under constant development thou. And can get it for any OS. Make sure you try v 0.12 or above.

What are those header pipes bro? Are they off the shelf aftermarket jobbies for a 350Z? Will zey fit? They look pretty good I reckon!

Then what? I mean like then what happens exhaust wise - twin 2 inches or a big ole' drainpipe all the way back?

A little bird told me twin systems sound betterer.

What are those header pipes bro? Are they off the shelf aftermarket jobbies for a 350Z? Will zey fit? They look pretty good I reckon!

Then what? I mean like then what happens exhaust wise - twin 2 inches or a big ole' drainpipe all the way back?

A little bird told me twin systems sound betterer.

They're X-Force, which is an ocker company. They're made for the 350z and they'll fit the engine, possibly wont fit the car without modifying, depends where I put the engine. Not top of the line but they're not chinese knock-offs either. They could to with a bit of grinding & filling around the collector.

I'm thinking twin 2.5 down to the end of the g-box and then merge into a 3 inch. But I'll have to do so research. Twin pipe is an option but I prefer the look of a single. Hmmmm, undecided....