Snoozin's Mk.II Triumph Mk.II

kyteler

Nice work mate, be careful if you're gonna play with the OD, as it'll be destroyed if you use it in reverse, hence why it has the inhibitor to make sure it turns off in the lower gears too. But you know what you're doing I'm sure.

My old MG BGT had the OD on 3rd and 4th, switch was on the dash which I quite liked :)

-Indy

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:salute:

I would say pics to follow but - what am I going to take photo's of really?
I'm sure you'll find something, and that the photos will be awesome.

• [*:3ax4z0ny]Take photo featuring middle finger in front of pieces of automatic
    [*:3ax4z0ny]Take closeup photo of manual gearknob with background not in focus
    [*:3ax4z0ny]Doaskid and take a photo of that
    [*:3ax4z0ny]Send all photos to Joe / Flange and tell him that's how to make a British car manual before the cows come home.

Trump left me stranded on Sunday afternoon on my return trip from Bike Summit.

Pulled into Cambridge since I desperately needed to use the mens room, reversed out of my carpark turning right... then went to turn left to straighten up and leave, and the wheel wouldn't turn much past center/straight ahead.

Oh dear.

So, being the optimistic chap I figured it wasn't too major (which as it turns out, it wasn't at that point) and eased the car into a carpark on the roadside to see if a simple swing on the wheel would fix it.My initial thought was something in the strut top was binding, since these have a known tendency to get gunk in the bearing and make it sticky/fucked. So right... to left... to right... to HARD left... to FUCKING BANG.

Then the engine stopped, and no ignition lights were visible on the dash.

A brief moment of heart sinking anxiety quickly turned to panic when a thin wisp of smoke snaked it's way past the bonnet opening and lingered in the air ahead of the windscreen. After checking there was nothing massively alight I opened the bonnet to find (and hear) the problem. The cable from the battery to the starter solenoid had become wound around the steering column UJ, tensioned up, and ripped the end out of the solenoid. The smoke was caused by the bare wire inside the now separate part of the starter solenoid arc semi-arc welding itself to the drives side chassis rail. My hungover brain wasn't really in prime condition to deal with it either.

Fortunately, Jarred and Donna (FLAWLES and HUNTD) were passing by, and kindly offered me up a tow back to their place. Where the car now sits, awaiting a new starter which I am arranging right now.

It appears as if when the flexible rubber upper UJ was installed on the steering column (it has a red nolathane one on it which is non stock) the column has been threaded THROUGH between the power cable and chassis rail where the cable is supposed to be clipped within bendy metal legs. While the cable was flapping about at speed, it was most likely picked up by the lower steering column UJ and yeah, the rest is as they say, history/fucking annoying.

Nevermind. Will fix it and carry on.

Richie, saw you asking on triumph torque about the PI gear.

question, Why dont you just do a complete engine swap? then you dont have to worry about the PI gear not matching the engine etc? or would you rather stick with your motor as you know it goes fine etc?

My motor's in decent shape so I'll keep it if I can.

Doesn't actually sound too tricky to send the MU off to get changed to black unit spec if I need to anyway... I need to ascertain if mines a 124 or a 132hp car.

I might not end up even doing it, but it's a nice thought at least hah. Car mojo is low.