PAINT THREAD

dylan

So just acrylic laquer rattle cans? More details man. As for heat I'm not sure, I think 2k urethane are they way to go on engines these days, but obviously not easy to do at home.

Just a guess but I'm thinking you didn't let it flash off enough between coats and that fucked it maybe? You should be able to put down a million coats of laquer if it flashes off (it's what you are meant to do)

• Like 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah maybe didn't leave it long enough?

I dunno. Next time I'll just smash one coat of clear, coz that seemed best. Yeah it may well have been raining Gaz

/Only time i've had the garage door open because during the week it's been too cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to paint the rims of the quad bike, it's been done before by someone and peeling off so I'll strip them back and repaint.

The rims are really deep and not that wide, for scale it's almost like painting the inside of a bucket , so I was wondering what the best way to attack them was as I can imagine getting heaps of cover on the outer edges and not much inside?

Cheers

Kempy.

Hey Sparks I have had similar issues with dull clear but patchy, was on a wet day in a damp garage. I think it had issues where I put it on too thick and the moisture? Managed to fix by wet dry fine sand and reclear.

Kempy, Low pressure lots of coats for wheels, could use a smaller gun to help get angle in.

I would sandblast and powdercoat wheels though, unless they need filling.

Gaz.

• 1 month later...

so, i usually wet sand with 600 as a final prep before colour but i was just yarning to the guy at the paint shop and he was saying that the way they do it now is to knock the skin off the primer with 400 dry then guide coat and 600 dry sand it.

anyone got experience with this? he also advocated foam sanding pads for difficult edges and curves?

thoughts?

any links to other discussion would be appreciated as well.

• Like 1

those foam pads are bloody good for edges etc. and Id only go dry sanding now much easyer and cleaner than wet. plus you don't fill your car up with wet sanding grit.

You can also get a soft interface pad for your DA sander for that final run over goes between the da face and the paper.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I thought it looked like I would expect if there was something on the surface.

I gave it a wipe down with PPG Wax & Grease remover.

The tin of primer I've got is about 6 years old but has never been opened until this week, does it go bad?

I'll let it dry overnight, give it a sand and have another go tomorrow.

I did some spraying the other day with the same paint and didn't have this problem so I must have fucked up somewhere along the way.

Ever decreasing circles though, todays still looks better than last weeks but that was cos I didn't have enough air pressure going on.

Learning learning learning...