PAINT THREAD

dylan

Also thin the epoxy and spray it on with a 1.4mm gun for a smoother finish, no need to layer it on a engine, 2 thin coats then top coat.

Also use a single stage colour! not base/clear. Although you can use base and clear its a little over the top and a extra stage to fuck up. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to protec (someone in AK will chime in where they are).

What you need to do is just use the same system I harp on about here over and over haha. Epoxy and 2 pac paint on top. Most engine paints are just enamel and are crappy. Spray the epoxy down and then wet coat the 2k paint right over top after it has flashed, no sanding etc. This is called wet on wet, tell the guy at protec this is what you want to do and he should give you the right shit (hopefully) it should just be there normal automotive paint but there is a few different epoxy primers so you want the right one.

I learned this off American hotrod of all things (their body whop was pretty legit) they epoxy and 2 pac painted all their engines and this intrieged me. I have since confirmed with a bunch of people that this is a sweet method. 2 pac urethane paint is about as good as it gets for solvent resistance and for being hard wearing. It will burn off around exhaust ports etc but all paint will pretty much.

thanks Spencer , now i have something to go on, i wasn't keen on using an enamel after seeing the results of the previous engine build ,and how it didn't stand up to the test of time. 

i know very little about paint, applying is the bit i find easy, finding good paint system with technical data is the hard bit. so many times i have wasted time with shitty paint from miter ten and bunnings with vague misleading instructions , only to be let down when it washes off or doesn't last .

i have found 2 places so far that are very close so i will hit them up tomorrow , hopefully i can get some in time for the weekend . 

thanks, greatly appreciated  : ) 

Paint people,

I am wanting to paint a coil spring for a motorbike monoshock.

Its rusty and old paint has fallen off. Whats best process to prep it and what paint should i use that won't crack and fall off.

Chur.

So two methods, sand blast lightly then paint. Or if you don't have access use paint stripper then a rust converter, spray on and rub in with a scotch brite pad and see how it converts (will take ages). I just did my diff liek this and while it takes patience and several nights work the end result is great, I'll chuck up some pics. 

Old style prings were just coated in a enamel and real thin so it could move. I would probably just use a black epoxy primer and call it a day? probably could coat it in 2k single stage black. 

So yea if you just want it clean and one colour, black epoxy primer and finshed. If you want gloss spray it with 2k black (or any colour). I would do this wet on wet and thin coats of both using a 1.4mm top coat gun. 

So epoxy and urethane as usual. I think a good single stage water cured urethane would work well straight on the steel also (por-15 stz but not por-15 if that makes sense)

• Like 1

Most aftermarket ones tend to be coated in some kind of plastic? I have not seen spring paint specifically but some paint systems have a elasicicsing (sp) agent that will add some extra flexibility.

Exopy and Urethane paint are based of the same chemical/plastic technology as the names imply. So you let some epoxy or urethane dry in the pot after mixing and it turns into a flexible plastic wad of shit, the paint coating is therefore pretty dam flexible as it is. I am not expert here but my buick springs are painted in 2k black as per everything else under the car and they look fine after probably 5-10,000 miles.

• Like 1

Righto I want to paint the undersides of my too classics a eh Holden and a Anglia. As the eh has never been under sealed etc it's got some very light surface rust. The ultimate would be to blast it and epoxy it but I don't wana pull it all apart as it's much to good for that. So I wana leave it all together steam clean it and paint it with something. Has anyone used a product called metalfix? Any info would be great cheers rusty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, sprayed my rocker cover using that krylon glitter blast. Shot down a good coat of etch prime and let that cure for a couple days before laying it on. Looked great. Smashed a whole can on it (too much?) and looked awesome.

Put a coat of vht clear on top after letting cure for 24 hours. Had some funny idea that lots of coats would be good, fucked it. Made it go all dull. Yay matt silver rocker cover. Dum.

I'm thinking this is because I smashed too many coats on, but then reading other forums, if you don't use the right one itll do this regardless.

Personally think it looked fine after the 1st good coat of clear.

2 questions - do it again the same with only one coat of clear?

Will it hold up ok to the heat? I've read conflicting arguments about this, and only have one can of this left now!