For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If a car has been manually deregistered about a month, is there any way to reverse the process without having to reregister the car?

Still has plates, had current rego at the start of last month but is now "cancelled". 

Unlikely

31 minutes ago, kws said:

If a car has been manually deregistered about a month, is there any way to reverse the process without having to reregister the car?

Still has plates, had current rego at the start of last month but is now "cancelled". 

How was the rego cancelled if they didn't hand the plates in?

Probably you are out of a luck but might be worth a call to NZTA

My guess is the car was sold to a wrecker as part of an estate, and they dereg after they dropped it off (or had it picked up) claiming it was being taken off the road. 

You don't have to hand the plates in if you have a reason not to (like you sent the car to "scrap" with the plates still on). 

It looks far too tidy to just scrap it, would be a shame, but it's also a pain to have to do the rerego process. 

It's reason for cancel on carjam is "taken off road permanently" 

A not so quick call to NZTA confirms they have no interest in helping and it's a firm no on reversing a cancellation. 

I feel like there should be a grace period where it can be reversed. I guess they're of the mind that any old car off the road is a win, so why would they care?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, kws said:

It's reason for cancel on carjam is "taken off road permanently" 

That wording is one of the options on the dereg form isn't it?

It's lame but I am not surprised at the Vogon-like bureaucracy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kws said:

A not so quick call to NZTA confirms they have no interest in helping and it's a firm no on reversing a cancellation. 

I feel like there should be a grace period where it can be reversed. I guess they're of the mind that any old car off the road is a win, so why would they care?

That is a specific approach from the govt

https://rightcar.govt.nz/scrapping-a-vehicle

image.png.45718fc43f01b4e40a53e20debf9dcc9.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

How the likes of "Rightcar" and ANCAP are allowed to exist in their current states I don't know. The whole rating system is garbage and isn't close to accurate when it comes to actual safety. Boils my piss.

One example, there will be MANY.

https://rightcar.govt.nz/detail?q=g52790

Zero stars.

Has better occupant safety than this: I picked this van as I used to have one as a work vehicle.

https://rightcar.govt.nz/detail?q=g52248

Which is 5 stars.

Basically if you don't tick all their boxes, most of which do not relate to your survivability in a crash, we'll give you zero stars. Over time we'll add new boxes that old vehicles that aren't retested don't need to meet. So an old 5 star rating lasts forever and can be less safe than a zero star vehicle (which is safe) released today. What a joke.

• Like 3