For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Regarding certifying coilovers in a lancer.i know that they need to be tig welded.but do you need to get them crack tested after welding? And does welder need to have his welding ticket? Also are 50mm RCA's legal to cert?

Cheers

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no rule which says you need TIG, ticketed welder or crack testing to get coilovers certed.

It's entirely up to the certifier. I didn't have any of that and got mine certed last year. You'd need to have good welds though for sure.

And, I'm sure some certifiers do insist on above so it probably pays to talk to your cert'r first innit.

depends on the application. if you are welding adjusters onto oe struts then mig/no crack test is probably fine

if you are welding the strut together at the bottom, IMO it must be tig and NDT and done a certain way, because the weld is the only thing holding it all together

im not sure what other certifiers do, i have heard of a car strut that was MIG butt welded at the bottom, and it broke off. Not worth the risk.

back to cert welding Q's,

i currently run no tickets but can lay a strong clean weld would i have probs doing the bulk of the panel welding myself, pushing firewall back 100mm mainly.

also regs for sub frame connectors any or just there for my piece of mind

just got back from certifier training.

new rule- re camber, max is now original manufacturers specs, plus half a degree.

thats going to be difficult........

keen to know how this rule applies to cars with non adjustable trailing arm irs.

my 910 has this setup and has positive camber standard.

does this mean I have to make my crossmember adjustable to remove all negative camber gained from lowering?

cheers

adrian

Somebody may or may not have already asked this:

What's the deal with having a battery in a boot that also forms part of the cabin?

My battery is secured inside a off the shelf unsealed black battery box.

Does this need to be sealed from the cabin and vent to atmosphere?

If so, what's the best way to go about sealing the box & how large does the vent need to be?

Somebody may or may not have already asked this:

What's the deal with having a battery in a boot that also forms part of the cabin?

My battery is secured inside a off the shelf unsealed black battery box.

Does this need to be sealed from the cabin and vent to atmosphere?

If so, what's the best way to go about sealing the box & how large does the vent need to be?

as far as LVV rules go, there is no requirement to seal the box, it just has to be secure. not sure about MSNZ rules though.

id seal it up anyway and vent it if its a normal old wet cell battery- especially if youre a smoker.....

• 2 weeks later...

I am due to go in for cert any day and have about 2-3 degrees of Camber on the rear. I have only just learned about these new guidelines/regulations.

After having a read here it seems that it really is more of a guideline than an actual rule.

It mentions that:

"In any case where a vehicle’s camber exceeds that recommended by the vehicle’s manufacturer, the LVV

Certifier must ensure that the requirements contained in 2.2(2)(a), 2.3(8), and 2.4(1) (referred to earlier

in this LVVTA Information Sheet) of the LVVTA suspension standard have been met. The LVV Certifier

must also take extra care in ensuring that the vehicle is safe and fit for purpose, based upon the following

factors:

-tyre width – the effects of added negative camber are more pronounced when wide, low-profile

tyres are fitted; and

- road and brake performance test results; and

- the vehicle manufacturer’s wheel alignment specifications."

This would make me think that if the camber isn't ridiculous and the certifier drives/tests the car and believes it to be safe then it can still be certed outside of the recommended +half degree rule.

Thoughts on this?

thats not how i read it, thats only a small part of it.

that refers to making sure its ok when its over manufacturer spec, but within the half-degree-over spec.

the only time it mentions being able to go outside this half degree over limit is when its a legit motorsport vehicle with an authority card

you could go here http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... thread=240 to clarify that, the guys answering the questions on the forum are the technical advisors at lvvta.

it would be nice if i was incorrect and you could go over that limit, but i cant see that happening as it would be back to how it was before.......

Seems pretty crazy. My camber is all natural but I assume that doesn't matter. Although it makes you wonder, if I was to get a wheel alignment with a full car load on factory suspension my camber would probably break still break the rules, yet it is working as Toyota intended it to when the car was made...

on an unrelated topic,

the "tyre size to rim compatibility guide" is a fucking load of fucking arse sucking shit.

a 225 50 15 isn't even listed as an approperate tyre for any width rim.

you can put a 265 50 14 on a 10" rim, but the narrowest tyre you can put on a 15 x 10 rim is 315 60.

what the fuck is that!!!!!!!!!!!

"tyre size to rim compatibility guide"
..is just a guideline, the tyre manufacturer wheel fitment over rules the guide, so just go by the specs given by the tyre manufacturer and produce evidence on certification

but because of this clause you now cant get manufacturers recommendations for anything outside that list.

a good friend of mine has been selling tyres for over 20 years and he has seen a very sharp change in what the manufactures used to recommend and what they do now.

i guess its because they are scared of being held accountable for recommending something that some idiot then goes on to kill himself with?

don't give a fuck how it came about really, its a fucking giant paint in the arse is all i know.

sodomy.

Pretty sure people have had there cars certed recently with specs outside that chart by eithr A) providing manufacture specs (they do exist) that say they are OK or B) the cert dude being a GC and using common sense.