For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, looked in the book instead of guessing

- unmodifed ball joint ends from a production vehicle of similar weight are OK.

- custom spherical bearing rods ends may be ok if:

- 11 conditions follow that I don't want to type out.

Section 7.28 of the HCTM

So, you may be OK, if they are super-spiffy top quality rod ends with pull-out prevention washers, kevlar lining etc.

Oh my, so if you have the wled on ones, you would need to get someone to xray them and get proof they are all G? I had an engineering place weld mine up, but knew nothing of this xray biznaz, was a good 2.5/3 years ago tho. Also, how come every other weld on the whole car dose not have to be xrayed, but the struts have to be?

^ Regarding weld on stubs with BC (Reds, they dont have "for motorsport use only" on them as far as I know BTW), from Linglings fred.

Also, how come every other weld on the whole car dose not have to be xrayed, but the struts have to be?

It is because of this..

only because the "with stub" ones have the steel strut welded to the cast stub which has always been a no no.

Gaz

This is odd, because this is how they are done from factory (if I remember correctly) the strut goes through the hub, and is welded at the bottom?

Edit: Unless the casing is also cast or some shit?

scaled.php?server=819&filename=calipersmounted02.jpg&res=medium

Mine were done like this (as per the instructions) with a few hundred mill of the original tube left on:

scaled.php?server=188&filename=picture552a.jpg&res=medium

Righto

at the moment, these struts cant be certed due to what ryan said- the strut tube is welded to the cast spindle. this has been a rule for a long time, that you cant weld to a casting or forging.

The factory one is welded to the cast part- but because that is done by the vehicle manufacturer ,its ok.

There arent heaps of vehicles affected by this, the only ones ive come across so far have been ae85/6 toyotas and late model hondas, they have a cast steering arm welded to the shock body. not just bc either, there are other brands which use the same construction.

the ones ive certed that have been welded together have been done how ryans was done- slip the tube over the original (shortened) shock tube, tig welded around the base(10-15mm ABOVE the cast part not to it), 4x plug welds around the top, then crack tested.

last time i spoke to the tech guy at LVVTA, he said they were working on it, trying to find out more about the welding process BC uses

Oh piss.

Sooo I shouldnt worry about this just yet (my cars not on the road anyways) and wait to see what the outcome is, regarding the legality of the way in which mine have been welded?

I have another curly question for you sir, I have purchased a scooter, which has no licence plate, and due to being 1979 spec, no vin number. I want to reg it for road use again, but neither the LTSA or VTNZ can find the chassis code or frame number in the system, yet the guy I got it off checked four months ago, and swears it was still in the system, and that his local certifier found it when they checked? To reg it, I have to apply to be granted the write to reg it, as I cant prove where it came from, or if it has been reg'ed ever before, and the amount of proof/documentation they want is crazy. Also, IF they grant me the write to reg it, I have to take it through the new one off scooter check, which will be a cunt, as its 32 years old. I have proof of ownership between me and the last owner, and between the last owner and the owner before, so its not stolen or anything.

So basically, If I can find the frame/chassis code in the system, all I have to do is fill out one form and reg it, all done, if not, I have to do a HUGE amount of fucking around, and pay for a shit load of checks and paper work.

What I dont understand is why the cert man could find the chassis code in the system, but the VTNZ and LTSA could not, wouldnt they all use the same system? Is there any chance you would be able to check for it at some point?

Cheers, VG.

Clint I have been reading/hearing some bits and pieces regarding adjustable arms of any kind not being able to be certed?

They wont certify any adjustable arms now unless they have an engineering cert, welds xrayed, witness holes drilled to see thread engagement etc. Thats what i just found out trying to update my cert.

I have T3 adjustable rear arms for my 4 link on the KP - they're solid alloy machined to accept the rod ends (teflon lined etc etc) so are these now an expensive paperweight?

Clint I have been reading/hearing some bits and pieces regarding adjustable arms of any kind not being able to be certed?
They wont certify any adjustable arms now unless they have an engineering cert, welds xrayed, witness holes drilled to see thread engagement etc. Thats what i just found out trying to update my cert.

I have T3 adjustable rear arms for my 4 link on the KP - they're solid alloy machined to accept the rod ends (teflon lined etc etc) so are these now an expensive paperweight?

only applies to front susp arms in certain configurations, if they are rear arms, and made well, youll be sweet.

Oh piss.

Sooo I shouldnt worry about this just yet (my cars not on the road anyways) and wait to see what the outcome is, regarding the legality of the way in which mine have been welded?

worst case, you could do what a few people have had to do, chop the strut tube off, get a another pair of stubs and weld as described above

I have another curly question for you sir, I have purchased a scooter, which has no licence plate, and due to being 1979 spec, no vin number. I want to reg it for road use again, but neither the LTSA or VTNZ can find the chassis code or frame number in the system, yet the guy I got it off checked four months ago, and swears it was still in the system, and that his local certifier found it when they checked? To reg it, I have to apply to be granted the write to reg it, as I cant prove where it came from, or if it has been reg'ed ever before, and the amount of proof/documentation they want is crazy. Also, IF they grant me the write to reg it, I have to take it through the new one off scooter check, which will be a cunt, as its 32 years old. I have proof of ownership between me and the last owner, and between the last owner and the owner before, so its not stolen or anything.

So basically, If I can find the frame/chassis code in the system, all I have to do is fill out one form and reg it, all done, if not, I have to do a HUGE amount of fucking around, and pay for a shit load of checks and paper work.

What I dont understand is why the cert man could find the chassis code in the system, but the VTNZ and LTSA could not, wouldnt they all use the same system? Is there any chance you would be able to check for it at some point?

Cheers, VG.

Have you got a chassis number on paper. or are there any numbers on the frame? there must be something if someone found its id before, unless he was telling porkies. if the certifier had access to the system (landata) it would have the same details as a vtnz/nzta agent looking at it

• 2 weeks later...

space frame chassis can be mig welded.

there isnt a specific minimum pipe size, it says it must be of an appropriate size for the application or words to that effect. so it would depend on the weight of the vehicle/engine/design etc

buying a hobby car manual would be a good idea if you are going ahead with this idea.

its not compulsory to have your design approved first but i would, it would be a prick to build it and have to re do it for some reason

Do I have to engineer it? ie say what force it should hold etc or can I just design and build it sensibly?

Thanks for answer, I'm gonna look into that manual. Just working out if I'm kidding myself to build it or not first.