For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can some one please tell me do i need window washers on a 79 corolla for a wof

coz when it was painted the holes for them got filled so theres no trace of them any were i do plan on fitting a nice chrome on on the bonnet when im game enough to drill a hole in the new paint

also is a custom made dash going to be any issue come wof time?

"4.2 Requirement to fit windscreen wipe systems and windscreen wash systems

4.2(1) A motor vehicle must, except as specified in 4.2(2):

(a) if manufactured before 1 January 1992, be fitted with a windscreen wipe system that complies with the applicable requirements in Table 4.1 and other applicable requirements of this section;

(B) if manufactured on or after 1 January 1992, be fitted with a windscreen wipe system and a windscreen wash system that comply with the applicable requirements in Table 4.1 and other applicable requirements of this section."

Pre 92 doesn't need washers.

"4.2 Requirement to fit windscreen wipe systems and windscreen wash systems

4.2(1) A motor vehicle must, except as specified in 4.2(2):

(a) if manufactured before 1 January 1992, be fitted with a windscreen wipe system that complies with the applicable requirements in Table 4.1 and other applicable requirements of this section;

(B) if manufactured on or after 1 January 1992, be fitted with a windscreen wipe system and a windscreen wash system that comply with the applicable requirements in Table 4.1 and other applicable requirements of this section."

Pre 92 doesn't need washers.

Cheers Raizer thats what i wanted to know i had a feeling it would be somthing like that

now i just need to know about a custom dash is there any rules on this for wof time?

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have an ex lancer as you might see in my signature. i have put some some compressed springs and shorter shocks in it and it currently sitting about 80-85mm at the front (ground to crossmember) and the back is about 65-70mm, springs all captive. however the back is sitting on the bumpstops.

question is can it be certed this low being on the bumpstops?

Or could i alternatively take the original rear springs and cut them in a way that will lift it up a bit and remain captive? cutting is ok if they are captive right?

Won't pass if it on bumpstops. Cutting should be sweet but may need to get the end retempered depending on design I think?

correct, cut springs are only do able if the spring seat is designed for a spring without closed ends

will need bumpstop clearance for cert. bear in mind the car has to be able to carry its passenger load and still have travel loaded.

IMO compressed springs are a waste of time in most applications. the main reason people get them done is a set of kings/jamex etc arent low enough(because they have been designed to still have some travel usually), so they get the original ones compressed. that results in the suspension being too soft due to the spring rate being the same as factory, and not enough travel because of too much slam.

ok so the spring on the left there ^ is what you'd call closed end then and i shouldn't bother cutting it? the compressed ones do fit in pretty good tho. how much travel does it need before hitting the bumpstops?

yes that has closed ends.

travel- hobby car manual guideline says 40mm, but that depends on the car. some cars need more than that if they have soft springs, to cope with passenger loads

ok so according to the chart, the fact that the springs that end up in there will have been heated and/or cut means i need cert for them. unless i get some king springs or whatever and its above 100mm.

i'd say i willl end up certing it tho as i would like it lower than that. so if i do cut the non compressed springs and it has sufficient travel then i just have to worry about the springs seating properly?

which brings me to another question, could i make some sort of spacer ring thing to stick on top of the compressed or non compressed spring to lift the car up a little so its not on bumpstops and has good travel AND seats nicely?

one of the requirements of the suspension checksheet/standard is that if the suspension has been lowered, spring rate should be increased accordingly to stop it bottoming out. so it depends what your car is like/how soft those springs are, whether you can get them certed or not

if i was in your shoes id be trying to find a spring that is stiffer and shorter than the originals, out of another car- or get some made, so you can have it low, and not have it sag on its ass when you load it up or go over a bump