For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is defined as a recognised spring manufacturer? Any ltd company that advertises spring manufacturing?

Last time Alex did a write up on his spring modification adventures for the Viva he showed that he heated the ends, bent them down and then ground them to look OEM. I guess this would be illegal if detected by cert inspection?

31 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

What is defined as a recognised spring manufacturer? Any ltd company that advertises spring manufacturing?

Last time Alex did a write up on his spring modification adventures for the Viva he showed that he heated the ends, bent them down and then ground them to look OEM. I guess this would be illegal if detected by cert inspection?

Yes

3 hours ago, ajg193 said:

A even better question is who tf give out wofs to a car that has strops holding the springs in 

• Like 1

No one cares.

As for the actual topic of springs, just give Chamberlains a call, was a year ago I popped in so I don't recall the price for some custom springs. Wasn't cheap, but also wasn't more than one would expect to pay for someone to calculate the exact spring needed to meet the requirements you provide when ordering.

• Like 1

Just to note, this is not LVVTA that is coming up with these rules, it is NZTA . There has been a few things lately where LVVTA has tried to make things easier for people but NZTA has not wanted to play ball...  ADAS systems, and any changes to them, is an example 

Utes, and typical modifications to them, seem to be a particular focus at the moment 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, cletus said:

I'd like to know what drives (no pun intended!) these sorts of changes at NZTA? They seem a bit vague: 

"There's some evidence..."

"Bullbars can cause airbags..."

Would be interesting to see some of that evidence.

It seems odd they focus on the drivers safety when you'd think the risk from bull bars is far greater to a pedestrian or cyclist and that adding bars to the front of a vehicle will affect any of the Vulnerable Road User safety features a vehicle has. Australia has done some research on this but it's tricky to get solid conclusions since the data from real crashes lacks certain information and the sample sizes are quite small.

But generally it seems accepted that bull bars increase the risk to pedestrians. But it's hard to find much about how they affect they affect the internal safety systems, like air bags, of vehicles fitted with them. I think partly since some of those systems are quite new so again there isn't enough real world data and that studies on that specifically haven't been done.

With all the things they could be doing/looking at, how does something like this get chosen as the change NZTA spend time working on?

• Like 2