For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

3 hours ago, Early jap nuter said:

You get a log book for the car and it has all the details of cage spec from Motorsport nz. You need it no matter if car regd or not. Getting a cage and proper safety shit is pricey these days and if if it’s not got a reg you need to trailer it to the event so that’s a cost as well. You can still do abit with just a regd car and have a ball doing it but you need to realise there’s no cheap Motorsport. It always costs 

Cheers, yeah not expecting cheap but need to be realistic with budgets, the specific reason for asking is it seems you can pick up dereg silvias/180sxs for a whole lot cheaper than their wof/reg counterparts, the latter i wouldn't bother with as a starting point as there's immediate over capitalisation 

Long story short, is it once they are off the road that unless you rereg then you're stuck with trailering and no hill climb/on road events? The Log books and authority cards path don't enable you to achieve some sort of road legalness once dereg?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i know

Authority card is only to cover the fact the car has a cage/harness/other stuff you wouldnt usually be allowed in a road car

Log book is to keep track of events,details of cage, race classification etc. 

If the car goes on the road = needs to be registered and wof. I dont think theres any way around that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There may be special events that can have an exemption to hold an event on a closed road with unregistered vehicles,i dunno how youd find out about that 

Rally cars are usually cert/wof/reg so they can travel between stages,if there was anyone who could ever figure out a way to circumvent those requirements,it would be a rally car person....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xsspeed said:

pick up dereg silvias/180sxs for a whole lot cheaper than their wof/reg counterparts,

The problem with these are they are old and have been trashed/bashed about and you spend money keeping them going. If it was me I’d look at the euro options as in clio cup,rs megane or something like that. Yeah not that fast but they are well sorted from factory and you can buy shit loads of aftermarket bolt ons. Keep it wof/reg and try some events then if you decide it’s not for you, you can sell off a road going car and not have to worry about fuckwits  lowballing you

11 hours ago, cletus said:

There may be special events that can have an exemption to hold an event on a closed road with unregistered vehicles,i dunno how youd find out about that 

Rally cars are usually cert/wof/reg so they can travel between stages,if there was anyone who could ever figure out a way to circumvent those requirements,it would be a rally car person....

A closed road event like a hillclimb is treated like a circuit event, so a trailered car just needs no wof/reg, just needs to to pass scrutineering.  That's how it worked when I did club events many years ago, the MSNZ permit would stipulate minimum requirements, and scrutineering would be held in someone's workshop.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xsspeed said:

Long story short, is it once they are off the road that unless you rereg then you're stuck with trailering and no hill climb/on road events? The Log books and authority cards path don't enable you to achieve some sort of road legalness once dereg?

de-reged 'club' cars can compete on closed road events, but may not be driven past the 'Road=Closed' signs.
a rally car, competing in a proper rally event needs to be REG/WOF for the entirety of the event due to the 'touring' stages which are normal legal open roads, as opposed to the 'special' stage, which is closed to the public and under the control of the COC/Event director.
'authority card' is a dispensation allowing certain modifcation
'logbook' is a record of events entered

2 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

A closed road event like a hillclimb is treated like a circuit event, so a trailered car just needs no wof/reg, just needs to to pass scrutineering.  That's how it worked when I did club events many years ago, the MSNZ permit would stipulate minimum requirements, and scrutineering would be held in someone's workshop.

there was a trap for event organiser's as to how the road was closed.
one method gave TOTAL control to the named COC/Safety Officer etc, the other created headaches as to legalities legalities and control , if a challenge was enacted

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SOHC said:

Would you need a cert for a RPV or hold off valve to?

If a safety related system and its not listed in the threshold, then technically it requires cert.

But people don't normally install an residual pressure valve on a completely stock good condition set of brakes, or the vehicle would come with one from the factory.
Most often they are fitted to fix a problem that presents itself as a result of a modification to the braking system and its that modification that would usually kick it into requiring cert.

• Like 3

Right then. So I have an old Morris cab over from the 60's. Minimal paperwork. Rego long since dead.

The goal is to get it onto farm rego as I only need it to scoot to the quarry and back and between my two properties. I would like it to go through at least one COF for my own peace of mind and the guys at the local truck place are really helpful. If I can't get the current engine to run (Straight 6 petrol) I want to swap it for an Isuzu NPR engine and box I have floating around which is a similar HP but a lot more reliable. 

I understand how car LVV works but have no idea about trucks. Which order/sequence should I look at tackling things in?