For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the rest of the car look dodgy ?

If you've take it off and painted the area and reattached with rivets in a tidy fashion.

Why would it look dodgy. 

1 hour ago, AllTorque said:

End of the day it’s up to the inspector’s discretion.

If it was a hectic r32 skyline going to vtnz you might have issues.

But for most normal people with older cars going to a regular inspection place  it's never going to be an issue 

• Thanks 1

If you're not worried about cosmetics I'd leave it the way it is.

A recently removed and refitted vin tag is much more of a red flag, they are not easy to make it look like they haven't been fiddled with once removed

They are stuck on with adhesive so are easy to damage

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, cletus said:

They are stuck on with adhesive so are easy to damage

I have done some testing regarding this, and at about the 20 year mark the adhesive doesn't offer much resistance. The main thing to pay attention to is the rivet spinning just as you break through the cap which will leave an obvious mark 

• Haha 3

It's a huge pain for cert.

The correct, legal method for repainting an area with a vin number would be to take the vehicle to a place that deals in vin/compliance etc , they remove the tag and keep it in a safe place,

you take the car home and do the paint etc,

then once it's done 3 years later take it back to the same vin/compliance place who won't have changed inspectors/lost the tag/ gone out of business, and they refit the tag.

In practice, this never happens because nobody knows about this until afterwards 

Then we have to send them to a vin/compliance place to get confirmation that it is the correct identifier for that vehicle, which can be easy, or a long involved process with forms and approvals from nzta  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The whole car will visually be dodgy thanks to the previous owners attempt at painting it, but mechanically and structurally it'll be sound. I guess i'll give a WOF a punt and see what happens. Its easy to read, but i guess if they fail it for being painted I need to drop into VTNZ and get a new tag made?

Take a punt as you say, some won't care, some might. You haven't modified it at this point so I don't see any harm in going for WOF. Just blame previous owner if it's picked up. May well be a non issue.

A quick drive past VTNZ to get their view won't harm either though.

So ive been looking at the surge tank set up for the hunter.

Have a bosch pump and a generic surge tank.

This photo shows how i think it could be mounted.

Ill mount the tank and pump to an offcut of ally 200x50 so that it can all lay on the same plane. 

Floor area in the boot is not flat.

This piece will have tabs welded off it for mounting to the body.

Now the fuel lines.

Can they run into the "spare wheel well" then through the skin via grommets to get them under the car?

Ill be runnjng hardlines front to back, with efi line connecting both ends and surge tank etc.

Lift pump is mounted under the car as its was running the 12a.

Am i right in thinking the line at the top of the surge tank is a breather and gets vented through the floor?

20230103_152600.jpg