For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless you have photos and repair cert, if they spot old repairs THEY WILL grind back your paint.

If they spot the slightest amount of surface rust THEY WILL make you get it sand blasted

(coming from experience) hold on tight for a long and heart braking ride  :(

Bottom line you have to get a repair cert or you will be screwed. Just getting a repair cert will screw you though

I've done full panel and repaints on quite a few cars that haven't been in the system and there's never been an issue with needing a repair cert, the only time I've ever had to get repair certs done is if the car was de-registered due to accident damage (normally if its an insurance right off) or if the car was tagged for rust when it was imported. 

I've heard they want a repair cert when reregestering any old car now, even if it's never had a repair. The reason being "oh it's been around for so long it must have had a crash or rust repair at some stage in its life" bullshit.

Doesnt sound right, a mate got a 58 vinned 2 weeks ago and never got asked.

Repairs on our car went like this

- panel beater fixes many things

- repair cert man pops in at various stages to take photos

- panel beater says I'm done

- repair cert man pops back with his 4 pages of forms fills them out with said photos and signs it off

we had over 250 photos taken of the repairs from the repair cert guy

Who knows we had it pretty bad I think, surely there would be a few that are not that hard core/luck of the draw I guess

Edit: we were flagged at the border for rust though, no flag = good times

Snapper spec post follows 

That was the dealio,

But I've been told that this has changed apparently? He said that when he did the test they said lots of repairers were failing said test.

If it's the truth, then there is lots of peeps with projects that are royally screwed.........

Yeah man I can see a lot of dicking around if thats the case for existing projects - hence while Im still looking at might and daydreaming thought Id better clarify it after seeing what Clint wrote prior

i believe the requirements for the repairers has got tougher recently, repair cert has to be signed off by a repair certifier still

When is a repair cert requested though I thought it was just when a car had been written off for accident damage or pinged at the border? Ie not for repairs to NZ cars that had just fallen off their rego

I've done full panel and repaints on quite a few cars that haven't been in the system and there's never been an issue with needing a repair cert, the only time I've ever had to get repair certs done is if the car was de-registered due to accident damage (normally if its an insurance right off) or if the car was tagged for rust when it was imported. 

^this was always my understanding

I've heard they want a repair cert when reregestering any old car now, even if it's never had a repair. The reason being "oh it's been around for so long it must have had a crash or rust repair at some stage in its life" bullshit.

would like confirmation of this - anyone?

Doesnt sound right, a mate got a 58 vinned 2 weeks ago and never got asked.

whats the story with his car? import - any tag at the border if so? any repairs done in NZ?

Repairs on our car went like this

- panel beater fixes many things

- repair cert man pops in at various stages to take photos

- panel beater says I'm done

- repair cert man pops back with his 4 pages of forms fills them out with said photos and signs it off

we had over 250 photos taken of the repairs from the repair cert guy

Who knows we had it pretty bad I think, surely there would be a few that are not that hard core/luck of the draw I guess

Edit: we were flagged at the border for rust though, no flag = good times

What sort of repairs did you require? like do they care about non structural stuff or is it any rust whatsoever? 

If anyone knows the answer for sure, post it up, otherwise I'll start ringing people and update thread with what I can find - just need to find where to start ringing

its difficult. seems to depend on the inspector. they can ask for a repair cert if theres evidence of repairs or rust visible etc, doesnt need to be flagged at the border, so a re reg car can need it.

the thing that can make it a giant drama, is one inspector may not worry about it, where another may ask for cert, and if the panel work is finished and it needs to be stripped again, it can get very expensive.

have had it happen to a customer with a nice HQ ute, he had to get most of it repainted after getting it stripped back so the sills could be inspected

if i was in this situation (which i am, i have a car thats de reg and needs repairs)  i would take it or photos of it to the vin guy i plan on using and see what they say, or get a repair certifier involved from the start. for the cost of a repair cert its cheap insurance against trouble later ( i think they are $350-450ish)

• Like 2

So as with most UK cars, rust scab is present underneath - last time i got done for $2g to blast and underseal the FB, but could I just get it blasted so that I can so the underseal myself? I'd rather put POR15 on than whatever they use. Will they be OK with a non undersealed car or is that part of the deal - must be undersealed? 

Regarding the 'Repair Cert', if I get tagged for rust at the border, then it makes no difference about the panel work thats done right - A repair cert (process) for underbody rust is the same for panel work and I only pay the once? Obviously the rectification of both or either is another thing of course but I'm guessing I will get tagged at the border.... :(  

So as with most UK cars, rust scab is present underneath - last time i got done for $2g to blast and underseal the FB, but could I just get it blasted so that I can so the underseal myself? I'd rather put POR15 on than whatever they use. Will they be OK with a non undersealed car or is that part of the deal - must be undersealed? 

Regarding the 'Repair Cert', if I get tagged for rust at the border, then it makes no difference about the panel work thats done right - A repair cert (process) for underbody rust is the same for panel work and I only pay the once? Obviously the rectification of both or either is another thing of course but I'm guessing I will get tagged at the border.... :(  

you need to talk to a repair certifier and see if they would be happy with you doing the undersealing yourself, im not 100% on the exact rules but i would imagine they have certain products you would have to use