Best - Easy 4 cylinder engine for swap.

rusty360

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Come to old-school, suggestions on best 4cyl include rotary, V6 Mazda, and Barra.

Yes the "throw a #### engine in there" posters  enthusiasm  is often well ahead of of their experience in tackling the myriad of engineering challenges that your average engine transplant involves. That aside most of us were once like that and youthful automotive exuberance should be encouraged rather than criticized. 

My favourite classic choice would have to be a 2 litre Pinto. Cheap, readily available (Cortina's rusted as only Pommy cars could!), a plentiful supply of both new and 2nd hand hot-up parts and most importantly the fit.

For a crazy solution I'd go for my favourite 4cyl RWD setup. A 4G63T (VR4 to Evo 3) hooked up to a RWD Mitsi gearbox makes for an economical, reliable, abundant source of horsepower. Lots of good info here https://projectzerog.com/

I've been involved in two RWD 4G63 swaps, one for a mates road car (Mitzi ute) and the other some years back for our Targa race car; a little tweaking and the HP/torque is simply brutal.

PICT0015.JPG.a94746283c905f3ebc98d7f7f583aab1.JPG

As Cletus pointed out you would need to look at substantial suspension and braking upgrades to get it road legal.

• Like 3

Pintos arent as readily available as they once were, and most that are left behind arent worth touchingvthese days.

Most 80s engines are very scarce now.

Early 90s are getting harder to get hold of.

The mitsy 4g63 and 4g93 are awesome in rwd..reasonably available still aswell. 

• Like 2

Wouldnt need much to liven up an Anglia.

Alot of suggestions are the same that have been done for the last two or three decades and are probably harder to source plus cost lots. Would be cool to see more modern options although I don't know how viable they are not coming as factory rwd configations.

Suzuki swift sport M16a or K14c

or 4 cylinder Ford ecoboost

Etc

• Like 4

Hey @rusty360, I'm assuming it's your green Anglia van that you are talking about. It was real solid from memory with just some floor replacement needed. I remember perving over it when you were selling your burgundy 105E saloon back in 2009. Still wish I had bought that car of yours at the time. It was nicely sorted.

Rotary and Sr20 is basically out due to the price the command now unless you reallllly want one

Fiat twin cam and pinto get one cos the donors all rusted out! Yeah 40 years ago

I'm gona suggest suzuki parts. Even though they have half the hp of a mx5 swap

image.png.b2b6918e32a61d3d38d6564fb30efd2f.png

Or a pug 1.9 TD

image.png.4898e7d5744a357b639d4372ff377147.png

I have other terrible swap ideas if you are interested

In terms of prius swapped racecars. I think this is interesting for further development

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tortron said:

I'm gona suggest suzuki parts.

Yep.  Jimny box (pre-VVTi has overdrive fifth gear) will also accept the 1.5 and 1.6 versions of the M-series.  Very light but not especially compact and available sump shapes less than ideal.  Got some way along the road of sticking one in a Triumph Spitfire - possible but non-trivial.

What we really wanted was a G13B on an SJ RWD gearbox (which is powerful, light and very compact) but G13B are now rare/big money here on the Septic Isle. 

Now working on getting a Ford Zetec SE (sigma) lump in the Spitfire on an MX5 gearbox.  The Ford engine and Mazda box are now friends (there's some big work behind that little statement) and we just have to shoehorn the combo into the car.  FWD cooling plumbing is really a PITA for RWD install.

The iron block ford zetec engines fit on the old T9 boxes and are ever so much better that the horrible pinto boat anchor they came with.

Yeah @sr2 rwd 4g63t has its place, here is my home job build..

Vr4 6 bolt block, Evo 4+ head td06 20g turbo, kelford tx 264 cams, rb26 nizmo flywheel and clutch, Nissan cd009 6 speed, carbon fiber driveshaft, Evo ralliart plate LSD etc..

For the amount of fab work and headaches, selection of gearbox and clutch options.. and having seen how they perform I think an f20c honda with stock ECU stock manifolds, stock clutch stock gearbox would be so much better in my opinion..

20131219_203337_zps98cb2e72.jpg

20140629_171515_zps27432f18.jpg

20140811_172005_zpsa6e91931.jpg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, VitesseEFI said:

iron block ford zetec engines fit on the old T9 box

Surely talking about ease of conversion this would be up there? 
Run it on bike carbs/webers so no ecu to worry about (and all of the dorts). 
Pretty well documented overseas and I think you may even be able to get mounts or at least diagrams? 

I have no experience with this myself. But researched it a fair bit as an idea for a swap last year just before my old man sold his anglia. 

A bit outside the scope here.

Would you consider an electric conversion?

A quick Google suggests that an aftermarket controller for Leaf powertrain  parts is available. In a sub 800 kg car it would go really well.

Possibly not that expensive compared to buying and fitting a modern 4cyl engine when you take into account ecu, fuel system, exhaust, cooling system, custom sump build, tuning etc.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Valiant said:

A bit outside the scope here.

Would you consider an electric conversion?

A quick Google suggests that an aftermarket controller for Leaf powertrain  parts is available. In a sub 800 kg car it would go really well.

Possibly not that expensive compared to buying and fitting a modern 4cyl engine when you take into account ecu, fuel system, exhaust, cooling system, custom sump build, tuning etc.

Best way to do this is buy a whol leaf so you don't get scalped on batteries. They have some good power, and even better once you add the openinverter.org board, which you need anyway to do the conversion. I daily a leaf, and man it's quite shit but it's got this awesome whack of midrange and always surprises people. They weight 1600kg too, just as a shit unknown fact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1