• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Roman said:

Yeah, so drags! 
Mega fun day, got heaps of runs in. 
Bit slippery on the track so no new best time. 
Quickest was a 13.6 and 100mph, 2.2 60ft. 

Awesome to not hear of many issues! 

so what's the feeling with the slicks, would they be better at any different pressures or is it purely track prep or is there too much grunt now and it's blowing the tyres off?
engine still in perfect condition? just run in, good for another 200,000kms at 8500rpm ?

I normally run my radiator temp sensors in the top rad hose as that's generally the hottest point and run the fans off that. Are you going to also set the ecu up so that the fans turn off at a certain speed? From memory anything over 60km and the fan is useless, can't remember but do you have shrouding on the rad with the fans? Any flappers? 

Be interesting to chuck and air intake temp sensor in front if the rad as well 

Keen to read about results :)

• Like 1

Having the rad temperature sensor in the outgoing flow gives the rad load/cooling efficiency. This makes it easier to control the fans and maintain a steady engine temperature as it gives an earlier indication that the rad is loosing the battle 

Senarios:

- low load, low speed in traffic, so little actual airflow. Top hose temp won’t go up until the whole system is heat soaked.

-high load, high speed. Top hose temp may be quite high but you don’t the fans on as there’s plenty of natural airflow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Roman said:

Got this sorted, and it's awesome. Thanks again Stu! 
The extra room gained is incredible.

So the next thing to decide is how a filter or airbox or whatever is actually going to work. 

On the engine bay side I've been tossing up some ideas but not 100% sure yet. 
However ahead of the radiator and crossmember, I think it's going to be best to completely divide the engine air and radiator air intakes. 
Looking at the front grill area, there's a decent cross sectional area available through the holes in standard grill. More than enough to feed the motor. 

intake.thumb.jpg.b90ce369059f3d6adb3757228579bf3e.jpg

So sketching it up / cardboarding it up, hopefulling something like this works 

Printed out a test piece for one side and fitment is nearly there. Should be good! 

For the intake if you can try and get it to expand gently over the entire length up to the stacks.

e.g.

image.png.9c91d4a59154f07b51a1aabf4b3452a5.png

And ease the radius from the bumper into it, even if you have to reduce the entry of intake down.

It should increase pressure over the the throttle plates at speed, giving you a boost in power if you do it right.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shrike said:

I normally run my radiator temp sensors in the top rad hose as that's generally the hottest point and run the fans off that. 

If i could only have one engine temp sensor. Then what you describe is the best place. Or more specifically somewhere inside the circuit of flowing engine coolant when the thermostat is closed.

But measuring the radiator gives an indication of how much cooling capacity is in reserve.

Older cars used to have a thermo switch in the bottom of the radiator to trigger fans. Newer cars seem to skip this and just have the ecu trigger from engine temp. Likely to save costs.

3 hours ago, shrike said:

Are you going to also set the ecu up so that the fans turn off at a certain speed? From memory anything over 60km and the fan is useless, can't remember but do you have shrouding on the rad with the fans? Any flappers? 

Speed based fan thing is a bodge for not knowing radiator temp.

If going 60kph keeps the radiator temp down, then theres no need to turn it on anyway. 

Im not using any shroud, ive got a single 12" fan mounted as close to the top radiator pipe as possible. 

As this has the highest temp differential of the whole circuit so cools the best.

Fan shrouds improve fan efficiency but block flow at speed so wont be using one. As its only at trackdays that cooling is an issue.

• Like 3

That new rad looks heavy? :) its surprising this thing while moving at the track gets hot TBH, usually can get away with small radiators on small 4 banger track cars because you are always moving and have all that airflow.

Nice that you can get the intake over into the front area now. If you look at the old BTCC cars that have stacks of room up front they seem to duct the (massive) airbox down to the lower area and pickup from the bumper intake rather than the grill. I would guess better pressure area? Just talking shit as obviously you dont have the luxury of all that space of a slammed engine race car but its interesting.

It could possibly be weight neutral? or fairly minimal... As my fan assembly is a lot lighter than standard. 
Shame on me for not weighing everything already though. haha.

I remember reading something from a BTCC guy who said they looked into ram air type setups and said there was no point. 
As in ideal conditions its only a millibar or two of extra pressure, at maximum speed. Then you lose that as soon as you are following someone else. 
But then some of the bike manufacturers gloat about their ram air setups so who knows.
I've still got a 5kpa differential pressure gauge on loan from @Hyperblade so I guess I can go do some tests at some point. 
But likely limited by space anyway.

The main issue is that I would like to incorporate an air filter arrangement, which makes life a lot trickier than the cross section implies. 
Still not sure how this will work which is why I'm just working on the front bit for now instead.

• Like 1