Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can take the kw reading and change to hp and its a bit closer.  They know it reads a bit high at lower power levels, but turbo cars tend to read ok.

Your car is an inspiration to ingenuity and fun, was awesome to see in the flesh, and hear in the depth of bones!

• Like 2

Thanks @R3spct it was a really fun day, and like you or one of the other guys said.
It makes me miss the monthly torque performance dyno days that they used to have.
Fun to get some people together and have a yarn.
Yeah I'm not too worried about the numbers, dyno is a comparative tool used to find improvements.
But it's also hard to say you're happy with how dyno went, without mentioning numbers haha.
I'm looking forward to getting to the drags again and seeing how it goes now.
I've got some footage of the other cars that ran on the day, I'm just waiting for youtube to finish processing the videos then I'll send you some links.

9 hours ago, Roman said:

(apart from avoiding blowing up the motor) 

So that's a good point... What's your sump/pickup like, as on those slicks you will run the very real risk of having all the oil disappear.

I think your going to be pleasantly surprised at how much performance difference there is with them compared to even good semi slicks.

• Like 3

I think it will be okay. 
The bottom casing is quite shallow to the crank, then one half of it falls away to a fairly steep oil pan with some baffle type things in it. 
So at least half of the oil falls directly into that, rather than having to go down the slope. 

The main oiling issue is likely when a rod punts my oil filter housing off the block :clown:

I've ground the guard completely flush so that there's nothing sharp for the tyre to catch on. 
But still it just wanted to sit the body on the tyre. Just further down now.
I'm not sure what sort of antics they were allowing for with this HKS suspension but it's pretty crazy how low it can go haha. 

To get the car to sit on the bump stops while having tyre clearance, has needed this many bump stops random bump stops buts that I found in the shed:

image.thumb.png.a2aa8cec7f44b348edfb094bd58d0f7b.png

Which is about 90mm with a little extra allowance for further compression. 
So I found on trademe some 85mm bump stops for 4x4 so hopefully they're reasonably stiff. 

I'm also going to have a go at casting some bump stops from polyurethane with a 3d printed mould. 
As I figure it might just be fun to do, then makes it easy to try some variations later on if it works well.
So I'm just printing a very thin walled tube. So then I'll use lots of mould release wax on it, then after pouring hopefully I'll be able to just break it off. 

image.png.b76b67023eb456f295f81fbfd5eef22b.png

• Like 8

Silly question but the shocks are still in good nick yeah? are they inserts or a sealed unit? if inserts you can put spacers on the bottom to give more height so that it bottoms out higher if that makes sense (similar to running MR2 shock inserts in I think it was KE70 struts etc)

Wondering if you need shorter travel shocks?

Haven't played with suspension in awhile so may not be making sense, please correct if I am mistaken :)

Depending on how much bumpstop progressiveness you need, another option would be a nylon /hdpe/similar spacer and then a foam bumpstop on top 

Sometimes a long bumpstop won't limit travel at the correct point on a big bump, and I've found nolathane or similar materials like that don't last very long as a bumpstop unless they are very substantial, then they aren't progressive enough  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1