2 Trailer Loads of Death... Mostly Gyro X build thread

Raizer

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoped in at the painters just before and showed him, he's fucked off it's happened and wants me to bring the part that's gone to shit in and he said he will make 100% sure it's fixed for me!

Says that it's possible Honda used some kinda wax when molding the plastic that's absorbed into it, has a few ideas for a solution though, so that's good!

Rode through town earlier on the way to the paint shop, so so many people turning their heads trying to check it out, courier driver just about crashed as he was too focused on the Gyro haha

• Like 5

Latest order of parts should be delivered in the morning (seriously close to overnight parts from Japan! Ordered yesterday lunch time, they arrived in Auckland this morning!)

So it's time to give it a touch of go to match the show...

keZGKjw.jpg

On the left we have a late model Canopy engine with an absolutely fucked crank from sitting in the weather with an open intake.

On the right we have a "mid term" Gyro X engine (TD01-200+ used the same engine as the Canopy), with no piston but otherwise good condition, just ugly as fuck with the outboard starter motor mounting position but it's got a crank that's play is in perfect spec, see where I'm going with this?

Tonight I started tearing down the engines  as the Canopy one needs to be bare to get bead blasted and ported etc and the X needs to give up it's crank.

Quickly ran into and issue though, turns out the X is one that still ran a "NON SLIP DIFF"

bYWR1yB.jpg

The LSD clutch pack sits outside the oil filled gear housing section

But as is typical of these all the teeth are stripped out of the clutch plates, it's a common issue that sees a lot of 1wd Gyro's about, it's also why Honda did away with the LSD and also why clutch plates for them are horrendously expensive if you come across them on Yahoo.

QnAbyL7.jpg

Canopy axle left, LSD right

bTjvLF1.jpg

Now is where the differences between the engines really set me back, the oil pump drive gear on the crank is a different size and there is a couple other slight differences stopping me from using the mid term X crank in late the Canopy cases, the fact I don't have any good Canopy cranks besides the one in my current is a bit of a set back!

And I have a very good reason for not just swapping the Malossi cylinder onto my current engine too.

My mate in Japan is trying to sort out a stroker crank for me at the moment, so all hope isn't lost yet at least, question is can we get it to NZ, machine the cases to take the bigger crank and then assemble, run in and tune the engine before the mount ride early next month?!?!

Couple schematics to try and make the diff clearer

GITinsx.png

Notice there is no differential in there?   Part 8 is the right hand drive axle, between it and part 6/the left axle is this LSD unit

5pTMExJ.png

The later Canopy uses this set up

PADTOAr.png

No locking function, but MUCH stronger and won't turn 1 wheel drive at the first bit of abuse.

• Like 3

SPQYb1i.jpg

Looks really silly with the wheelbarrow spec wheels now!
Am trying to track down a nasty vibration, changing wheels helped a LOT but I think there's something off balance in the CVT area buzzing a bit.

Am carefully stripping all the plastics and stuff back off to get the step/floor into the painters ASAP as I have yet again ended up with a 2 week dead line to get it finished again, but this time I have got 2 to sort out as I've taken on fixing up another one

VQv0Mfp.jpg

PYkiQs4.jpg

"Yeah mate, there still good engines, just need to clean the kick start parts and put a belt on it"

5DXXWBh.jpg

ttXnWhX.jpg

1SQWb9D.jpg

VgV8r7m.jpg

Besides everything being filthy and any bearings that aren't seized are dry and noisy sounding it all looks like it is in perfect condition, so that's a plus!

Kp8Bbdn.jpg

I'm pretty sure I ordered all the odd size bearings and seals that Honda used in these in my latest Japan order, so hopefully @Vintage Grumble can get hold of the others easy enough.

• Like 3

aZWIlUX.jpg

Jhpygkt.jpg

VB6dLTl.jpg

Ready for bead blasting or maybe paint/powder coating??

Picked up my WeBike order from the post office

0Es2VG7.jpg

Not pictured, but I spent an hour with the dremal porting out the intake manifold, although I'm now having bad thoughts about a big intake and OKO/PWK carb...

Couple before pics of the case ports

OkhZeig.jpg

nqW7sYr.jpg

MLKRFNU.jpg

Fair bit of room for improvement there!     Should be able to gain some free HP with just a bit of dremal work

Stripped an oil pump, have been shown how to mod it to give 1.6x output to suit the bigger cylinder so I'm going to give it a go.

tEWAulp.jpg

Lol it looks like it was never finished now!!

JaGq3lt.jpg

Lets see if I can get it all back together AND swap out or depending on the outcome of a possible hub issue rebuild Greg's engine intime for the Mount ride!

• Like 4