Axle half shaft help

Ashkellybarr

Hey guys I'm pulling my axles out to change my diff.

got drivers side out with some motivation but passengers side won't budge.

ive used my DIY slide hammer, gone threw a can of penetrate freeze off, half a can MAP on my gas torch, continually bashed the shit out of it for over two hours now.

hands are fucked from shock of holding something while being hit and been hit so hard the TPS is now starting to tear

any tips or ideas??

IMG_9682.PNG

undo the last bolt !!!!

get some ti-tensile threaded rod and make 2 spreaders to push the axle flange, once under tension, try cracking with a hammer.

don't put huge load on it, as you could distort the axle flange

• Like 2

Hey guys. Yup their all undone. Drivers side came out sweet. Seems to have rust-welded it self in.

ive got quite a few tips from some other people. I'll try some things tomorrow but I feel as though I try anything harder it'all bend the flange

• Like 1

When I had no access to a slide hammer I just used some chain around the axle flange and got a decent run up, it was just as easy as using a slide hammer.

Rope is no good, you need something that will transfer a shock load directly to the axle.

Using the brake drum is usually no good if they are in tight as you need more distance to build up enough momentum.

• Like 2

in theory, it could be one of those big , long T series (TE71/AE86 etc)  bearings which are a complete darling to get out when they would rather stay where they are.

anchor the car down real good and slam the fucker out if it is housing. have almost pulled my Levin of it's perch getting the blighters out.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, yeah I see, I need to shock it, timber and electrical cable maybe aren't transferring it that well.

Mate at work has a big slide hammer with flange for hubs especially for it so I'll give that a go when I'm back from over seas.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 15:17, kiwi808 said:

On the rx3 we used to bolt the wheel back on and kick the fuck out of it till the half shafts popped out. Is this not possible with yours? Wondering why no one else suggested it.

Gave that ago with no luck. Lay under it and had two feet booting it, she's pretty stuck 

On 5/3/2017 at 05:10, JoKer said:

hah RCIS poster dude!

Haha

• Like 2

This tip was recommended on another site for removing reluctant hubs :-

"If you undo the rear hub nut a turn or so, then drive the car around the yard a bit - especially going from 1st to reverse a few times - the horsepower will do the job for you, and loosen the hub from its taper.
If it works - and most do - you can jack the car up and disassemble the brake drum etc, remove the axle nut and simply slide the hub off - no 20 ton press required.
This allows removal of the axle and bearing in a very straightforward manner."

• Like 2

On 5/4/2017 at 13:50, grunta said:

ive used a bit of chain and a 10kg dumbbell as a slide hammer/puller and that worked well !

Good idea, I've got both of those.

On 5/4/2017 at 13:55, locost_bryan said:

This tip was recommended on another site for removing reluctant hubs :-

"If you undo the rear hub nut a turn or so, then drive the car around the yard a bit - especially going from 1st to reverse a few times - the horsepower will do the job for you, and loosen the hub from its taper.
If it works - and most do - you can jack the car up and disassemble the brake drum etc, remove the axle nut and simply slide the hub off - no 20 ton press required.
This allows removal of the axle and bearing in a very straightforward manner."

I gave this ago also threw recommendation of a guy on RCIS.

i undid the 4 nuts holding the retainer plate on till they only had 3-4 turns holding them.

drove around west Auckland for 30mins.

pulled back in to find nuts undone, and I'd mostly been driving around with just the axle being stuck in :(