Cletus' '68 Plymouth post car

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno that it will solve your problems tbh.

Blue car has a fairly good size remote oil cooler with fans on it and it really doesn't affect coolant temps too much.

It still gets hot on the dyno, did two back to back dyno sessions, one with oil cooler out front blocking the radiator and one with the oil cooler mounted remotely with fans and it made pretty much no difference. 

Your situation may be different but that's my experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If at all possible I'd opt away from the idea of water meth injection. 
It's a pain in the ass to keep it topped up, and if it runs out but you dont realize then you are in the poo. 
It adds an annoying admin and more points of failure that could cause engine loss. 

• Thanks 1

exactly the same engine setup (apart from the turbo being on the other side) as when it was in the vg, except the vg is about 3" longer in the front,  so had room for a big decent quality electric fan, and room for hot air to escape

It was always a bit borderline though, when I pulled the turbo stuff out of that car and put the current motor in it, I left the radiator and fan the same, it never has cooling issues now. So I'm pretty sure it's the intercooler that is cocking things over

I haven't compared bonnet open vs shut times but it still gets hot either way 

• Like 1

Any differences in water pumps and pump/crank pulley sizes?

I have been looking into RFB water pumps and pulley sizes and there are different pump fin counts and pulley sizes, some combos will overheat at idle etc

Yeah it had a mystery pulley combo to fit the alternator on the wrong side

That was yesterday's job, to change the lower pulley for a bigger one so now it has a slightly overdriven fan/water pump pulley. Stock 318 has same size crank and w/p pulleys  

Please forgive me asking potentially silly Q's, but when the motor is hot, what's the temp of the air that's just come thru the radiator?

i.e., if the radiator is efficiently coupling the heat in the fluid into the gas (air), then the air temp should have come up quite a bit.

Old style brass/copper radiators have enormous surface area because of those tiny/fiddly/fragile copper foil tapes, which enables their heat transfer. How do aluminium ones compare these days?

BTW, car looks great, man, really good. So beautifully clean in the engine bay.

• Like 1

Thanks! 

The air coming out the back of the rad is quite warm so I think it is working, you can feel when the thermostat opens , the wind in the engine bay gets warm all of a sudden 

One thing I found interesting when I was mucking around with it on Sunday,  is how warm the turbo side of the intercooler gets even at idle, I guess the intake side gets hot because it's attached to the exhaust and that just heat soaks everything.  The other side is cold. So the fan must be working sort of well, but that won't be helping the coolant temp issue if there's warm air coming out the back of the intercooler and through the radiator 

I definitely think a copper/brass rad would be better but I don't know who would be able to make one these days and it would probably cost a million dollars 

• Like 1

Actually

The radiator I have is a replacement for a landcruiser of some sort so that might be an option that would allow me to use all the stuff I've had made for this one , would need the bottom hose outlet moving but otherwise would be a bolt in 

• Like 2

So bigger rad is next right? Maybe some realestate sign ducting up front to see if there is some weird air shit going on in front with the intercoolee etc. like force it to suck air from up front probably won’t do shit but seen it help before.