Stuck and stranded in rangiora/kaiapoi/christchurch. Help? :(

Moffmo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it's fucked then it's fucked. No amount of flushing will fix it. As its especially getting so hot so quickly I personally wouldn't bother with it. I've had the same thing on a few cars and ended up getting them recored which in hindsight I should have done straight away. 

Otherwise  Shouldn't be too hard to find something similar, but I think I recall seedy saying he thought it was pretty small so a good chance to chuck something bigger in!

• Like 1

When I had a look, the radiator was really blocked. Needs rodding out by a radiator shop.

It should be fine, its a 4 core unit. Probably a diesel one with the tanks changed to suit the 202.

Used to work in a radiator shop back in the day when ld28 conversions were the norm.

Thr flexi fan without a shroud is doing fuck all, same as the tiny electric fan. Which is also has no shroud, and is a few inches in front of the radiator.

Get thr radiatir rodded out, the core looks o.k.

Fit a proper electric fan on the front of the radiator, ditch the flexi fan before someone looses a finger.

Go to a radiator shop, pull it out. Get it fixed, put it back in and get the shop to bleed the system properly.

They will be able to advise you about a good fan. 

It will be 3 to 500 for a recore. 

Just my opinion, from what I saw when working on it.

Cheers.

• Like 7

Cheers mate. I was thinking how it will be a bitch to get a new rad to fit. 

I will limp it home and then take the radiator to a shop nearby in petone and get their input on fans etc.  

Is rodding /recore the same thing? 

Whats the condition of the water pump? Have the impeller blades rusted off?

Def get radiator rodded. I have had a few done, and it makes all the difference. Also, like Sam said, fit a propper shrowded electric fan with a thermo switch, and get rid of that finger destroyer thats currently in there.

• Like 1

I can get the rad sorted when your back mate.

happy to spend a bit of time on this, sorry about all the fucking around. I did want to check all the stuff out before you went away, but as you know, I just ran out of time trying to get it charging and legal haha

Yeah that rad is super thick, I can get it rodded at Petone radiators for a cashy. Would repalce water pump at the same time, and try flush the block the best we can.

The issue is, you clean out the rad, and there is still shit in the block, it blocks up again unfortunantly.

But yeah, flushing crud out with a hose only does so much

To give you the difference between rodding and recoring, Re core is where they replace the whole cooling fins and cores on it, being a 4 core, this would be a very spendy exercise.

Rodding is where they desolder one of the tanks off, and use a barbed rod to run up the cores and clean out all the crud, then acid wash out and refit the tank.

most the time this is fine, unless the cores are super fucked, and then rodding it just makes them leak, which is when they look into recoring.

I also agreee about the fans, they are pretty ill equiped for what you need.

I would say this has always had cooling issues., based on the two fans and mega air ducting setup at the front. I had also considered fitting a small heater core in line at the front behind the grill, just give something with direct air cooling

The 202 in the Hz took HEAPS of flushing for all the rusty crap to come out. I spent a lot of time just getting the block and heater core to have clean water coming out. 

I'm interested in how you find it post cam swap. I'm also thinking about a mild cam for my 202

+1 for shrouds on fan. I had an a14 conversion in a SJ410, which just wouldn't cool until I sorted shrouds. Perhaps the air was just looping around?

Also, any room for a second rad somewhere? (in front of front grill like the RBWAT introcoolers?)

Sorry for slow reply.  Been in the middle of nowhere with no signal! 

I have mastered the art of driving it without it overheating too much. I piss people off behind me but tbh it's their fault they are pussies for overtaking me haha. 

Appreciate the offer Al.  I know you're really busy too so double appreciate it! 

I learnt a quite a lot working on this so far so you'll have to let me "help"  out from time to time haha. 

I probably won't swap the cams unless I do an engine rebuild which will depend on how much I need to do that.  If I also did that I would probably try and source a 12 port head as I've been told by a 202 guru that it increases torque as well as cooling capabilities.  

Engine flush as well as rodding the rad with a proper fan is next on the menu I think.  As well as sorting all the time shit that doesn't work inside the van lol.