Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Ashkellybarr said:

Can you take the bell housing off and mill 4mm off the front and back of it?

Not really, taking anything of the front makes the clutch fingers dangerously close to the bell housing and the back it pretty thin 

So the project hasn't been running for a while, it seemed to run ok when parked up, puhuhu. I have no idea with carbs, so will post some symptoms and maybe someone can point me in right direction. It doesn't appear to like to start by itself, but start ya bastard will get it started and it runs fine. Runs fine about (and above) around 1500rpm, it won't idle and quickly dies. Google suggests, vacuum leak / plugs / a million things.

Where is a good place to start? It seems to run fine, just not low in the revs. Fuel seems to be fine as supply is good and it will run forever if I keep the revs up. I daresay it needs a good tune up, but taking it to local garage isn't possible in current state. I'm happy to chequebook this problem as I have zero time and patience currently. I feel like it could just be something gummed up that operates the low idle perhaps. But if vacuum leak is the first port of call, i'll start there. Thanks chaps.

Ah, forgot to put those deets in. Engine is Toyota 3AU 1500c, carb is factory.

It has a bunch of emissions junk that makes locating things rather frustrating. I'll look into where the idle circuit lives and see about inspecting it, cheers.

• Like 1

Or do the ol rev the shit out of it and cover the top of the carb with your hand causing a massive vacuum in the carb pulling all manor of fuel and possibly crap in to the manifold. Will smoke out your garage possibly but can fix the issue in under a minute 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Where can I get a decent set of jumper leads? Ones with actual bolted on clamps, not shitty pressed/crimped supercheat style.

Not bolted on clamps... But I got some kincrome ones from Bunnings. Surprisingly inexpensive. Even has an inline voltage thingo. The clamps are much sturdier than the flimsy SuperShit ones that are really easy to bend, they are plastic coated steel with 2-2.5mm thick copper teeth. The wire core is also a decent size. The cheap ones tend to make their wire look more heavy duty by making the insulation thicker but the core is still small. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1