Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/05/2021 at 12:55, Nominal said:

Where can I get a decent set of jumper leads? Ones with actual bolted on clamps, not shitty pressed/crimped supercheat style.

Ordered some of these Projecta 1000A clamps. Kind of spendy but seem grunty enough.

Now to get some cables.

20210615_115138.jpg

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Would a normal electrical wholesaler have this sort of thing, and be able to crimp a lug on the end?

They'll have the cable and lugs, but won't crimp them for you.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to solder them. You could try bribe an auto sparky to crimp them?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nominal said:

Would a normal electrical wholesaler have this sort of thing, and be able to crimp a lug on the end?

+1 for decent welding supplier and they will be able to crimp the lugs for you. They have the hard wearing double insulation cable, most electrical places don't.

• Thanks 1

Getting my hands on ~60m of scrap 35x65 rhs with the plan to build a chassis dolly/rotisserie for the Datsun. I want to be able to strip the suspension and still push it in and out of the workshop for the dusty/muck work.

Cos i'm a cheap c&*t, whats the most cost effective solution to getting wheels under it? While i'd like to have large locking castor wheels, that would far exceed the current investment of $0. Best idea I have come up with so far is a set of tyre dollys because they will be useful once the resto is complete.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Getting my hands on ~60m of scrap 35x65 rhs with the plan to build a chassis dolly/rotisserie for the Datsun. I want to be able to strip the suspension and still push it in and out of the workshop for the dusty/muck work.

Cos i'm a cheap c&*t, whats the most cost effective solution to getting wheels under it? While i'd like to have large locking castor wheels, that would far exceed the current investment of $0. Best idea I have come up with so far is a set of tyre dollys because they will be useful once the resto is complete.

I just bought 3 castors rated at 50kg each from bunnings for $30ish. They had bigger ones there too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigfoot said:

I just bought 3 castors rated at 50kg each from bunnings for $30ish. They had bigger ones there too

Estimating the body to be ~300kg so will need 100kg+ castors to be safe which are $50 + area.

Getting up to that price range I figure the wheel dollys leave me with options later on.

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Estimating the body to be ~300kg so will need 100kg+ castors to be safe which are $50 + area.

Getting up to that price range I figure the wheel dollys leave me with options later on.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/move-it-125mm-100kg-black-rubber-swivel-plate-castor-with-brake_p3940326

I got mine for an engine stand, they didn't have these ones when I got mine. 3 on each end should be heaps

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/move-it-125mm-100kg-black-rubber-swivel-plate-castor-with-brake_p3940326

I got mine for an engine stand, they didn't have these ones when I got mine. 3 on each end should be heaps

Shit, they are way cheaper than the last time I looked!

Might grab a set for the table saw as a test run

9 minutes ago, tortron said:

Thats actually not a bad idea instead of locking castors

So, Pajero's

FInally bodged another fuel pump into this heap today but still no go. Fump is running OK - fuel flows out the return line while cranking.

It stopped running just a few hundred metres from home a couple of weeks back with no drama, 1/2 power for a bit, then recovered, then no power :(

Anything else easy to check? 

20210619_134128.jpg

20210619_133650.jpg