Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keen. Although I doubt I will ever create the conditions for it to be useful. Maybe for drag racing with like 5l of fuel in the tank?

My tank is like this with the pick-up in the lower left (which faces the front of the car)

GT6570W_FillerNeckSide.jpg

/If anyone hits me in the left quarter panel with significant force I am boned.

MIG gas, lookin at CO2 vs. argoshield here,

gas people say they will put 2kg of CO2 in my 2M^3 bottle. the almighty internet tells me i get about 1100 litres of CO2 for my 2kg, just over a cube.

i have a 2m cubed bottle. does this mean i get 2 cubes of shield gas in a standard fill?

It is also approximately 5 times more expensive to run.

I have CO2 and it's sweet. If you are definitely keen on it then give it a go, it's not that bad.

Also CO2 only gets filled to 800 psi instead of the 2000 PSI that is in an argon/argosheild bottle. 

I think I have had my 5kg CO2 bottle filled 3 times in 5 years, so not too bad really considering I bought the bottle for $150 and it costs $40 to fill.

• Like 1

chur.

lolo every bit of advice i get is a polar opposite to the last, guess i stop when the daisy runs out of petals and that's the verdict

speno, was just wondering if anybody can see i'm doing something silly in thinking i get half the amount of gas with a CO2 fill than i do with argoshield. 

here in welly, care of supagas, co2 fill $50 plus gst

argoshield $120 plus

if someones gona tell me 'thats too expensive jees mate what are you up to' try getting an owner bottle filled in Wgtn with no hookups and see how you go. yes, i have been raging over this. the supagas dealer changes quicker than i can use a bottle of gas!

• Like 1

CO2 is not bad at all, for thick fab work over a couple mm who cares get whatever. I do mostly panel work and the welds are better to work with a hammer when I use argoshield, that's about all I can add. Costs me about $100-$130 to fill my D size bottle and I've had to do it twice in 3 years. Can't comment on gas pressures and how much volume you get, I just pay money and use it.

• Like 2

Co2/argo thing is weird. My old 130a panel welder runs a really clean bead on panel steel with c02. My new 200amp inverter MIG runs a clean bead on argo but turns into a sparkler bomb on co2 and cannot produce anything like a weld on panel steel. Rep from welder company cant explain it either

manu radio, manu radio, manu radio.

this is dave j, zulu-mike-gulf ten-seven requesting

a shitty idea tranmission, over.

you have pure argon anyway right,

make a y pipe and connect your argon and co2 for home made argosheild.

end of transmission. dave clear.

also you need to incorperate some sort of gas bubbling thru water feature inline.

• Like 2