steelies' box house

Steelies

Also, I did a project this year using containers for student housing. Got destroyed by some french cunt architect who had happened to do his masters on modular housing. Basically - cut any sizeable amount of steel out renders the things useless and requires structural members to be welded in thus negating cost benefit unless you can do it yourself. I hope you prove this arrogant bitch wrong so I can go shove a white flag down his cowardly french throat and remind him he is basically indebted to humanity.

tumblr_moehxnvGXC1r4m6uno1_500.jpg

tumblr_moehxnvGXC1r4m6uno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_moehxnvGXC1r4m6uno4_1280.png

tumblr_moehxnvGXC1r4m6uno7_1280.png

• Like 2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that most of the strength is in the edges, but the walls are important too. If you take it to the extreme and take all the walls out, you could still stack them up high with a lot of weight, but as soon as you get any sideways loading such as in an earthquake the steel will buckle.

yep, if you want it legit you'll need to frame any holes.

the long window in mine caused some concern, all holes (heh) are framed out with 100x50 x3 or 6 or something. was advised not to put windows in before it gets lifted with a crane. kinda reminds me of putting hydros in the coon haha! hey hey lets do the twist

yeh, if you de-box the box it wont be a strong box any more.

had to frame out the opening end too, engineers didnt see shit but box mods guy said it's too weak if the doors are open most of the time. thats with 100x150, unfortunately the 150 dimension is the one that shrinks the opening. bam, door 300mm narrower.

jase you can make a container as cheap as you want, depends entirely on what result you want.

anywhere from a free shack to a million for a compact hilton.

I haven't really followed this all that much so this may be a completely irrelevant post, but when I worked for F&P appliances, they had a container they used to lug around the world with all the latest F&P shit built into a kitchen display. It literally had one entire side cut out so that an internal russian-doll like box could extend out once in place and (almost) double the size of a normal container. It was pretty trick. the wall along that side was basically glass windows that they put a few thin (non structural panels along when transporting, I saw it being lifted onto the truck once and fuck me did the thing flex. The windows still didn't break though.

Iv'e always figured with these that wherever you put in windows etc it would be easiest to frame around it with like 50mm steel just to get a decent appearance and make the job of fitting the window easier. That'd put enough strength back in to be legit surely. Especially considering the containers are designed to be loaded up the wazoo to like 26 tonne or something. Even a fully lined one with furniture laid out etc wouldn't be much more than a couple of tonnes.

I had a look for pictures of that thing, I might have even had some on my phone/computer but fiddle me silly if i know where they are now.

Anyway theres a link to shit press pics here if you can get the idea. It might still be kicking around, it was only 3 or 4 years ago.

http://envycollection.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/jealous-much-fisher-and-paykel-display.html

PS. I highly commend/respect your project and will watch with great interest.

• Like 1

Yeah, we had a kitset open-plan site office thing made out of four (or six?) 40' containers. They all shipped with one or two walls missing apart from basically weather protection and a few temporary struts. They were all CSC certified to go on a container ship etc and not fold under the weight of 47495 containers stacked on top of it. Also, the windows were polycarb.

Yeah, gravity loads are easy to deal with. It's those pesky lateral sluzzas that go fuck everything up. Also, uplift from wind is like a sorta reverse gravity load and actually one of the cuntiest things we have to design for/make boring old robot engineers sort out for us.

Edit: I know you do some engineering stz p8veet so sure you know all this jazz jackrabbitty shit

Excited for you man.

This is going to be oh so sweet.

You always have been super efficient at managing tiny spaces. So this will be perfect for you!

Exciting times.

Sing out if you need any helps with anything once this is down in wellington. More than keen to lend a hand wherever/whatever i may be of use.