steelies' box house

Steelies

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks boe, offer noted! may need your help drinking some mooses at the warming.

just reading back over what you wrote elliot, one thing i've found through this project is noone knows fuck all about containers, except the dude in HiVis who cuts them up all day.

seriously, i couldnt find any useful information through anyone that has any decent qualification.

all the critical information and seriously important points came from the guys in the yard.

the engineers drew it as a tin box, didnt even know there were channel rails, offsets, major structural parts in places.

i wish i'd designed certain parts, the foundation attachment in particular, with the yard boys and got them checked by engineers rather than getting to engineers to go from scratch.

Container houses are wickedly cool, the ideal "green" building imho.  :thumbleft:

Cubular in Tauranga reckon $2200-2900/m2 ready to go...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/business/the-rebuild/10157148/Life-in-a-container-house

iirc Graeme Addis does container buildings http://www.addis.co.nz/container-innovation

and built this ...

ferrari_festival_at_hampton_downs_63.jpgferrari_festival_at_hampton_downs_26.jpg

• Like 2

rad! yeah i used to yarn on it with Matt Addis some years ago. funny, now i think about it this sure has been in the pipeline for some years.

seeing my comment there, yup still the closest thing i've found to the container house i've tried to build is a site office haha. seems theyre still more of a play-thing for designers than a simple solution to living with space restrictions.

411 on the street is that noone put their hand up at the auction for that 3-stack container place down the road.. apparently they couldn't even get an offer round the 400s. bummer

rad! yeah i used to yarn on it with Matt Addis some years ago. funny, now i think about it this sure has been in the pipeline for some years.

seeing my comment there, yup still the closest thing i've found to the container house i've tried to build is a site office haha. seems theyre still more of a play-thing for designers than a simple solution to living with space restrictions.

411 on the street is that noone put their hand up at the auction for that 3-stack container place down the road.. apparently they couldn't even get an offer round the 400s. bummer

If I remember right it has garaging on the bottom level? 

/someone buy it, we can go on 'cruise ship' holidays together

Just looked at the for sale ad online. http://harcourts.co.nz/Property/703527/WL23082/173-Happy-Valley-Road

Looks lush on the inside and I really like the indoor outdoor flow, but I can't help but feel that $550K for 3 shipping containers is hella steep and once you'd lived there for a few years then a $550K equivalent in conventional housing could be more appealing by a substantial margin. Not to mention that resale would be that much harder than a conventional house.

However I'm not doubting the cost of building it would probably be close to or exceed $500K - just that $250K of that asking price feels like kitsch tax.

(what I'm essentially saying is I'd love to buy it, but would only want to pay $300K for it)

Then I would also want to concrete the floor of the garage. :D

yeah you've got to really want to live in that place to pay what they ask. there are hidden perks though..

riding distance to capital city CBD/$15 cab

walking distance to south coast

over the road from a school and sports fields

hipster as

haha

probably a good place to run a small workshop in (post concrete floors), to offest hip tax

more perks there like parking, easy delivery, noone nearby to complain about noise, tip round the corner

• Like 2

that is actually fucken cool!

Always wondered what it was like inside

So..... tell me if Im wrong, but are the walls lined with something that looks like what you would expect a container to look like?? Or they just not into lining anything

Looks like the containers used to build that place are reefers(lewl) so come insulated to fuck and lined with stainless steel.

Will hold -20D for about 15+ hours without power sorta thing so I bet that place is cosy as fuck in winter

• Like 2