steelies' box house

Steelies

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, that heat/fire brick thing may be the go for the fire recipe you were talking about. Surround it with a little layer of those, blaze up during the day, then start the fire, let the fire burn and switch it right down at night hoping the bricks radiate and dispense enough heat to get you through the night without tootsie ice issues.

yeah man thats the one. bricky things gave a surprising result. i'v had a couple 6-8ish kg hunks of granite on there, they get to touch-but-can't-hold hot (70deg?) and after being removed it took an hour before i could pick em up for a short period. at 2 hours they were 'warm' but still radiating heat i could feel by hand.

if i left em on the fire they were still warm to the touch at breakfast time, though i ran the fire till late that night.

got another 4 granite hunks to incorperate but dont really want to pile them all on top of the fire. substantially lower maximum temp when stacked up high beside the fire as opposed on sitting on top, obviously.

russel my guess is youre going to prematurely rot your fire out throwing water in there, stick to the squeezy bottle full of petrol

interestingly enough, this one (dispite showing up with broken glass, yet to be remedied) seems to shut down enough to slowly put the fire out, unless it's howling outside. apparently you can swap an air admission plate in the back somewhere that allows it to run at rural-type fire lowness, but it's early days yet.

See if you can get some refractory brick seconds from Pyrotek or something perhaps although granite might well work better anyway. I 'unno. I know we have a stack of random refractory and furnace bricks (some seconds) here but getting them to you would be cost ineffective. If I ever make it to a Wagnats, I could slap a pallet load in the goon and really sack it owt.

• Like 1

Have you tried experimenting with different woods/low airflow mate?

some woods burn less hot and for longer.

Could just put your cheapest stuff on for active use and a large log of the slow burn variety on through night - think oak and cedar might be worth a crack but maybe $$$ here??

yeah as russel was sayin he found a big ol' log jam to be the best for overnight shut-down.

currently i'm just burning shit to keep warm, got some actual wood of different types stashed for next year. pohutukawa, gum and random stuff, just what's come along for free so far. gona go poach more pohut' in the rain this avo.

thus far i've been getting about 1.5hr burn from each 250mm piece of 100sq pallet rail, giving enough heat to maintain house temp ( ie once it's up to temp) so not unhappy with that so far.  new door glass on the way, should be able to strangle the fire completely once that's in.

you can probably tell the fire is serving as a means of entertainment at the moment, better than tv i guess

If you want free dry pine give me yell after I get back in country on Monday mates got tons and tones of the off cuts from the logs he had removed from his property and needs to go

you just need to cut it in to slices just bring trailer and chainsaw its in makara

See if you can get some refractory brick seconds from Pyrotek or something perhaps although granite might well work better anyway. I 'unno. I know we have a stack of random refractory and furnace bricks (some seconds) here but getting them to you would be cost ineffective. If I ever make it to a Wagnats, I could slap a pallet load in the goon and really sack it owt.

ask uj for a lend of his special brick 

chur. Nick i remember you mentioning the pine-stack in makara, definitely bear in mind, though i did just get more wood than i can store this week.

gorse! well we might have a bit here too so let me know if i should bring any to hanmer.

dave i'm picturing a clean and well used brick in a purpose built canvas carry bag, but unsure whether to ask any questions..

pohutukawa burns good overnight. so does swamp rata, but thats not that easy to get hold of! bluegum is good too as is a big log of well seasoned mac.  Leave that shit out in the rain over winter and the following summer, then stash it before the autumn rains and it will burn nice and slow but plenty hot.